Strictly Jazz Sounds (Part 1)

Two hot recommendations on each 2LP 180g vinyl for those loving a modern groove, the Kruder + Dorfmeister (not exactly jazz) mastered by Bernie Grundman and afaik only available on vinyl, the Bugge LP also great sounding (potential to surpass the CD) and the base of his fantastic groove.

You will search hard for them on vinyl in a few years.

1 Like

I shall add them to my collection, thanks for the tip. :grinning:

Something I take to heart when exploring music, my bias so to say:

“I say, there is no single right way to play jazz. Some of the comments made about my music make me realize though that modern jazz, once so daring and revolutionary, has become, in many respects, a rather settled and conventional thing. The members of my group and I are now attempting a break-through to a new, freer conception of jazz, one that departs from all that is “standard” and cliche in ‘modern’ jazz.”

— Ornette Coleman, 1960.

4 Likes

1995 K+D

I love Ribot too :wink:

I was invited by Mike Ervin, who wrote professional jazz articles years ago, to attend a Kenny Burrell set at the old Jazz Showcase in Chicago in the 1990s. After the set, the guitarist came to the booth and talked to us for 10 minutes ! He was so gracious and kind ! He is a very honorable musician ! I was sorry to hear about his medical challenges in recent years !

1 Like

Yesterday I finished up the day listening to disc 4 of this fine set. It occurs to me more and more as I listen to this set that the engineering is almost an uncredited member of the band. . . quite a sonic picture is painted that shapes the presentation in a unique way.

Bill Evans “Turn Out the Stars” Warner Bros. Box set, disc 4

2 Likes

Marilyn, with Paul Lytton, and Barry Guy. Wide ranging dynamics and strong interplay with this particular trio.

1 Like

4 Likes

Freddie Hubbard “MMTC–Monk, Miles, Trane and Cannon” Music Masters cd

Had to blow some dust off the top of this jewel case–it’s probably been ten years or more since I spun this. Enjoying the listening!

2 Likes
1 Like

5 Likes

Interesting to learn Garner founded Octave Records. Mack Avenue Records releases the 189 song set from Garner’s Octave Records era as Liberation in Swing. Should be a fun and upbeat set to say the least.

Erroll Garner Centennial Liberation in Swing Deluxe Box Set

Also available this week (my copy is in the mail) is a cd version of just the concert that is first presented in this box set. I don’t need the box set as I have all 12 of the albums it contains in their recent Mack Avenue releases.

1 Like

Mose Allison “Ramblin’ with Mose.” Just one vocal, a piano feature for Mose who is up to the task.

Followed by
“Svensk Jazzhistoria Vol. 9 - Swedish Jazz 1960 - 1964 - Brand New” disc 2 of 4

4 Likes

Finally picked this one up after the glowing recommendations here. I dont think I’ve ever seen a paper sleeve that has left behind more schmutz that the ones they chose for this. Records cleaned, sleeves replaced instantly.

1 Like

1 Like