Strictly Jazz Sounds (Part 1)

3 Likes

I have always associated incredible jazz with the Montreux International Festival.

3 Likes

A solid trio effort, Siman Nabatov, Mark Helias and Tim Raney. No PST means more oppportunities for vinyl or in this case exploring Tidal Jazz Mines:

Simon Nabatov Trio

3 Likes

3 Likes

Love the glasses. I almost bought similar glasses but just red temples. Went safer in all black but do dig them. Bet the music is good too!

1 Like

Not sure if I picked this up from a Woody Allen movie.

Glorious mono in the room, glorious music! My favorite versions of those songs.

2 Likes

There are ALL KINDS of music on those two discs! I can still remember the first week of constant spinning those at the University of Chicago in dorm rooms!

1 Like

I love that you attended the University of Chicago…a world class institution, on the crazy Southside.

1 Like

The music of William Parker is truly worth a listen. Sunrise in the Tone World is rather approachable IME:

William Parker Little Huey Creative Music Orchestra

…and then there is the down home feel of Corn Meal Dance:

William Parker and Leena Conquest

1 Like

… and my how Hyde Park has changed since the late sixties, mid-70’s. Kenwood for that matter…

1 Like

lonson and amsco15, you lost me on which two discs you were referring to

Track 3 “Rolling” on Qobuz.

1 Like

A Paul Giallorenzo high water mark, and with Joshua Abrams on bass, all the better. Paul played pre-pandemic at the Bur Oak in a jazz quartet with Jason Stein.

1 Like

There is a Bad Plus show coming to the Venue (formerly known as the Burr Oak?) in February.

We booked it for March 19, at Madison’s Winnebago. More to follow.

BlueStemJazz

BlueStem Jazz

2 Likes

Get Up With It

1 Like

Thank-you, and that is one I have not listened to in some time.

2 Likes

I don’t recall who (JazzNut?) mentioned this particular Nina Simone album, but it identified a gap in my collection. After listening to a 1965 ColPix 1965 Stereo repress I’d ask myself, WHAT TOOK YA SO LONG! This is some fantastic Nina, and I was able to track down and clean and quiet copy. Her performance is lively and fun, the band is spot on. Is it Jazz, who cares, soulful funky and fun!
Overall sound is very good, with strong drums, slightly plummy bass, vocals are spot on with a little sheen on top, and piano is slightly muffled. Put in perspective this is a 1960 live recording, and I deem it a winner. I picked up a recent reissue for comparison purposes and will report out my thoughts.

3 Likes

This is the NotNowMusic 2017 reissue of Nina Simone’s At Newport. The green vinyl is a dead give away, as it sounds slightly artificial and goosed up in comparison to the 1965 Monarch re-press. The mid-bass is boosted, piano is more centered and up front, Drum kit is slightly disembodied, and the cymbals lack any sheen at at. There is a bit of grit on top of Nina’s vocals, and plenty of grit to go around for all on the cymbals. Seeking out a Monarch repress was worth the effort and expense. Glad I did the comparison hough, as it reinforces my bias regarding the bootleg represses originating in the EU.

2 Likes

This is the one to get. Sounds airy 3D and perfect.

All in all still too much gospel for me on this record, but 3-4 really nice tracks!