Strictly Jazz Sounds (Part 1)

Yes I think you got a bad CD mastering pressed on vinyl as usual in such cases :confounded:

1 Like

At $295 USD, I’m fine with the Monarch pressing, opportunity costs and all.

At Newport

Yes, rarely really cheap, but I paid 60$ just a few weeks ago, so there are chances. But I’m intensly hunting for the last rare records I still need since a few months and bought so much, I don’t have the time posting after listening. Will soon try to do a little more again. I think during the last months I got records worth many thousand $ by current Discogs prices for a fraction, but it took activities reaching to the most extraordinary countries, partly by the help of even forum members here or contacts in countries to which the offers were limited.

1 Like

So I’ve had this on my watchlist. Go with the 65 stereo repress?

1 Like

Yes, just track down the cleanest copy you can find. If you find a 1960 clean copy for what your consider a fair price I’d give it a shot. Let me know if you find more than one. I’ve had my eye out in Chicago and Madison used record stores and no luck. I’d steer clear of eBay.

1 Like

3 Likes

I know what you mean and this was true before discogs got more common and still is for certain records. But search for sold items of this Nina original and you’ll see they are much cheaper than Discogs and quite frequently sold. There are chances on eBay and Discogs depending on the kind of record and occasion.

I have relationships with Discogs sellers that I do not have with eBay, thus the preference.

I don’t think I have used eBay for vinyl yet. My local used store owner has done a great job of tracking down pressings for me via his network, so I’ll share with him and research on my own as well. Appreciate the feedback on which pressing(s) to add to the watchlist.

1 Like

1 Like

There’s a ton of originals alone I could recommend, not to speak of reissues, but as we were into Nina and as there are only 3 great albums of her imo, I’ll repeat the two best (number 1 and 2) besides the Newport.

No 1 is this one. Extremely difficult to find NM originals as they were played to death when they came out. The Analogue Productions reissue is fantastic, so no real need to hunt for the originals.

No. 2 and far better than No. 3 (Newport) is this one. No good reissue around. Fantastic sound and music.

By all means avoid the 4 men with beards reissue. They not only used a CD master, they even pressed the gaps on vinyl which occurred between the digital files and interrupted the applause which originally continued between the tracks, UNBELIEVABLE.

This is a release to get as original. Also not easy in NM.

4 Likes

I can’t get far into a Nina listening session without putting on Black Gold - to me it speaks to the heart of all she was.

1 Like

Seems to be a 70’s live recording I don’t know yet. Has a MOV reissue, too. Will have a listen. It’s just my personal taste that “my Nina” is just a small group Jazz Nina while the general Nina might be rather a gospel Nina with exceptions in Jazz.

While I love it, the early Nina is (and this is from reading biographies) very much record execs telling her who to be. When she was able to explore her identity, she blossoms to me.

I have an original pressing which sounds good - Ive not heard the reissues though I doubt there have been many?

Sweet! I’ve used eBay on occasion when other avenues have not panned out, and have had mixed results. I prefer to keep my trade local, and then spread out based on how bad I want an LP. Some eBay sourced items have fallen short of the description provided. I have also had similar experiences most recently with a handful of Discogs sellers, but not to the extent as eBay.

1 Like

MOV rarely has exceptional reissues and the others seem to be worse, so I guess you’re set with your original.

1 Like

Those are the three ime as well, with the AP reissue being a no brainer MOL. For At Town Hall if you can score an early clean one I’d risk it even if it isn’t the first release. My experience with At Newport was very positive and the soulfulness, aka gospel, is Nina to the bone. There isn’t much not to like there.

1 Like

Nina had a message, and at times her demons got the best of her. I do like her protest music, Mississipi God Damn! Best to explore pick out what you like, and for those dearest to yo consider clean early releases as you budget allows. Honestly, I have not heard every version of each of her releases, and for the earliest, not always as clean as I would like, but common sense plays a role with original vinyl from the 50’s and 60’s. There are no absolute bests, not matter what you may have been told. Regarding the post 2010 (MOL) EU bootlegs, if you have to have vinyl then give them a shot, or just stream them or purchase digital copies.

2 Likes

Byard Lancaster, My Pure Joy, originally on Black Fire and re-issued by Strut February 2021. Some great sound and magnificent performance. This has a spiritual jazz feel with a bit of Don Cherry’s World Jazz sensibilities as well.

My Pure Joy

3 Likes

King Khan, The Infinite Ones. This one features Marshall Allen from the Sun Ra Arkestra. This is some tripped out Sun Ra influenced vibe, enjoy the ride.

1 Like