Strictly Jazz Sounds (Part 1)

Live before an audience in two 45-minute sessions from which individual songs were selected for the final edited release. (Download here)

5 Likes

3 Likes

6 Likes

2 Likes

5 Likes

3 Likes

3 Likes

Herbie Hanckock’s Maiden Voyage on the Osiris sounds :fire::fire::fire::fire:

1 Like

3 Likes

ARHI_681018__168326__04132022094355-3351
Great album that renewed my enthusiasm for Hampton Hawes

3 Likes

5 Likes

Knew I was sticking my neck out posting that on this here thread. But felt it wasted on the Spinning Now thread.

One of his mentors, Herbie Hancock, played a Mozart Piano Concerto with the Chicago Symphony at age 14. I doubt the local Classical peeps thought much of his playing at the time.

It was more for me about being amazed and - simply Delighted that an 11 year old could even PLAY Giant Steps, let alone that well. Not that I was offering it up as a great reading of it when compared to anyone who has ever performed it. That’d be silly. The album did garner a Grammy nomination that year for Best Instrumental Jazz Album.

However - try this version of Herbie’s Maiden Voyage from the next year/next album. Countdown. Recorded at Avatar in NYC with Chris Potter. So I reckon he was 12 in this video then.

Like his mentor in concert (see below), he is looking at the other players in the band. I have to say that in many ways, as much as I love and revere the original - all around sonically (listening to the album rather than this youtube video) and as a performance of the song - including the performances of the tasty band - this holds up. For me🙏🏻

And apparently for Herbie, who has always been a tireless promoter, mentor and employer in his bands of the young and talented.

Here he is at age 80, just pre-Covid, playing here at a show in Denver I attended with band members mostly half his age. With the exception of Vinnie Colaiuta, who I was thrilled to hear, if not see very well from my seat. Shot on my iPhone-Whatever-At-the-Time.

Right to left: Terence Blanchard, “Saturday Night Live” bassist James Genus, Hancock mentee, guitarist and vocalist Lionel Loueke from Benin, Africa.

Cool. I maintain my position.

Congrats - You Are The Jazz Police😝

No, not really. I just have a reaction to his music that is not as positive. I think he will edit himself and learn more emotional expression in time and I’ll like the music more. How much time I don’t know.

You and I are different, we listen to different music as well as some shared, and we feel and think differently about many things. That’s as it should be. Vive la difference.

2 Likes

Love these cool weather channel vibes

Saturday morning listen before heading off to work.

3 Likes

Anyone else pre order Scolohofo on Blue Note?

4 Likes