Strictly Jazz Sounds (Part 2)

Skips, I would send it back. AP are excellent with returns or exchanges. Which title skips?

As above, first lp, Brilliant Corners side 2, final minute. I’ll try a good cleaning soon first.

I have the music in several other forms–all the content for decades. A sort of impulse splurge.

1 Like

1 Like

2 Likes

1 Like

4 Likes

Dirk you’ve been posting some fine choices.

1 Like

A fine Music Matters copy, with Sonny Clark and Tina Brooks.

2 Likes

I just listened to the vinyl Tone Poet reissue of Booker Ervin’s 1968 album Tex Book Tenor. This is yet again another instance of Rudy Van Gelder capturing perfectly the sounds of horns and drums and bass, but Kenny Baron’s piano is even more “back in the mix”, and “squeezed” than RVG normal. I just read some interesting insights on RVG’s piano problems in the Steve Hoffman Music Forum. It speculated that he didn’t want bleed between piano and other mics, which makes sense, but I also think Rudy was a true jazz aficionado and wanted to create the effect of being in a live performance - so guess where the piano was on stage? Back in (if not back of) the mix. Either way, this has some fantastic playing on it. And despite its being “back in the mix” I could still here every fantastic note Kenny played.

1 Like

1 Like

It is indeed a fine album, and the TP reissue is worth seeking out. I too have noted Rudy’s approach to capturing piano, and at times somewhat set back a bit more than my liking in the mix. Glad to have the recordings all the same.

mid 1970s, frequented a fine live jazz bar in Cincinnati with this name, noname spelled backwards

1 Like

Birthday boy.

1 Like

It appears David Sanborn has passed.

Thanks, played this to celebrate. Maybe an adult beverage and another Gil recording once cocktail hour arrives…

4 Likes

A heavy first meeting Graves, Parker and Brotzmann.

Yet another super trio, Drake, Parker, and Brotzmann.

I think of piano in most RVG recordings as thin, spindly and brittle. Better if the leader is the pianist.

2 Likes

71CRwqJF9kL.SX522
I love this album, especially Jonny Griffin.

5 Likes