Strictly Jazz Sounds (Part 2)

I sure wish more people would describe what they liked about these albums, or at least rate them. I guess you must think it’s good if you went to the trouble of posting the artwork anyway.

Well, I’m going to break tradition and rave about something I heard last night. About 10 years ago, I discovered alto saxophonist Miguel Zenon. I was so impressed with his playing that I jumped in the car and drove 6 hours to hear him in Boone, North Carolina (famous for Tweetsie Railroad). His newest release Golden City, commissioned by SFJAZZ and the Hewlett Foundation, features not only Zenon’s brilliance as a player and improviser, but as a composer, arranger, leader, mixer, and producer. The music is phenomenal and creative and meaningful. But more, the recording is one of the best I’ve heard in a long time. Perfect rendering and balance of saxophone, horns, piano, drums, bass, etc. It has a warmth of sound, yet presence that isn’t sacrificed. I always know when I’m really impressed is when I trot over to HDTracks or the Qobuz store to download the hi-res files just to make sure a) I’m getting the absolute best quality, and b) the artist gets a little something. Check it out, you won’t be disappointed, unless you don’t like jazz.

Go to the original thread and its introduction as that was clearly my intent. There are other threads that serve well for posting LP cover images, but the intent of this had been to first to discuss the music, and second to discuss the community built around the music. People being people will do as they choose., but a string of album covers does interrupt ant meaningful conversation IMO. Off my soapbox for now.

I’m a big fan of Miguel Zenon, not a big fan of posting my opinions about music in threads nor reading about music that doesn’t really interest me which is often what is posted and most “written” about, and figure that others who are into what I am not are likewise not too interested in reading about my thoughts. Nor am I too interested in discussing sound quality any longer in detail as it’s the music that matters to me and if everything is audible I’m pretty happy. In my fourth decade on bulletin boards now my interest in much of the usual mechanics and content wanes.

But if you haven’t heard this material I recommend this 2 cd set as it gathers probably my favorite of the Zenon pieces released on the SFJazz Collective discs (I have all of those but the most recent one).


It’s Sunday, so according to my rules, I get a free pass on one hyperbolic outburst.
As I’m listening to this “holographic” comes to mind. I’m pretty sure that’s never lit up in my skull before.

Lovely music I’ve enjoyed for about fifty years. I bet this new edition sounds great, I have an SACD copy ordered but it’s currenlty on backorder.

What gets me is the marketing machine of connecting it to “Kind of Blue” as if it was some sort of concerted effort to prepare for that milestone. No, it was not. . . in the least. Seems deceptive advertising to me.

It’s a good idea and has been mentioned before.
I often use Qobuz to search for jazz.
Many recordings where Steve Gadd participates have my interest.
That’s also how I came across Simon Oslender.
Jazz that is played super tight and with lots of variety.
And of course the use of Hammond.
If I had to give the grade it would be an:
8 for music
9 for sound quality

Have yet to hear it and honestly didn’t know much about it.
A review from Analog Planet provides several insights. Seems to be a worthy addition to one’s collection.

Birth of the Blue

I do not understand the point of posting album covers. I greatly prefer discussion of the music, etc.


Following up on JLawry’s suggestion, provide a bit of context with an album cover post.
Presently listening to Sun Ra and his Arkestra Bad and Beautiful on a Saturn ESR 532 LP. Bad and Beautiful captures the Arkestra as they arrived from Chicago to New York City. A scaled down Arkestra as all Chicago members did not relocate, and Sun Ra had yet to tap into local talent. This release is rooted in the Arkestra;’s 1950’s Chicago sound, a bit more inside than what was to soon follow. Sonically the recording is nothing special, typical of Arkestra recordings of this era.
The Arkestra aconsists of:
John Gilmore
Pat Patrick
Marshall Allen
Ronnie Boykins
Tommy Hunter
Sun Ra

Note Marshall Allen at 100 years old continues to carry the Arkestra torch.


Dedicated to friend jaimie “breezy” branch, who passed August 22, 2022, Ingebright Haker Flaten assembles a fine group. An excellent opportunity to hear Matte Rassmussen on alto saxophone. The LP (Exit) Knarr, “Breezy”, has been recently released on the Sonic Transmission Records label.


Picked up this LP copy at the recent Chicago Catalytic Sound Festival. Percussionist Paal Nilssen-Love and Joe McPhee I Love Noise, recorded live on December 3, 2022 at the the Catalytic Sound Festival held at Elastic Arts. I was in attendance. A bit of prose, sax, and percussion.


Really outstanding set of improvisations ‘ inspired by Judith Schalansky’s book “Atlas of Remote Islands: 50 islands I never set foot in and never will.” The music is an echo of her writing, of inspiration by islands, entities with different and changing characteristics’.

Fie Schouten - bass clarinet, clarinet in A, basset horn
Vincent Courtois - violoncello
Guus Janssen - piano, organ, harmonium, harpsichord
Giuseppe Doronzo - baritone saxophone (tracks 6-8, 10)

I suppose this could be classified as ‘chamber music’. Fie Schouten and Vincent Courtois certainly play in a lot of different contexts
very beautiful record, another winner from Relative Pitch.

I find it useful in a general sense, being more visually oriented as opposed to written word, it helps me identify the album without any ambiguity.

A brief write-up adds context, and can aid in understanding what the music provides. Most helpful when one is attempting to explore the less familiar. Nice to have both the visual and a short summary. As I have mentioned there exists another thread which serves the visual sans discussion admirably. Nice to have an option to discuss what may motivate a listen.

It’s sounds nice