Subwoofer Advice

Bass behaves like water in a shallow bath tub. As you move your hand lengthwise back and forth the waves move towards the ends. When they hit, they bounce back into the next waves where they either double up, cancel, or something in between. Depending on listening location and frequency this is what happens with a single bass source (double so if side by side). So any adjustment to the side by side arrangement would be a help.

Originally I had one sub in the middle of the left side wall and it sounded great. Now added two more, one about a foot from the front left corner and the second about 4 feet from the front right corner along the right side wall. One theory says locate 12", 19", 31", and 49" from each corner (4 subs) to follow the Fibonocci ratios.

I take your comment, “already organized for my audio system” is for visual effect or based on best results for mids/treble (such as soundstage). The ideal locations for generating bass (waves) versus mids/treble (rays) are different.

I just added a pair of REL S3/SHO subs to my main SF Guareni Evolution speakers (symmetrical placement; inner rear corner of main speakers). At first I thought the S3/SHO subs may under power the room (complex rear geometry). I was wrong; however, you really need to let the subs break in and I was glad I went smaller… they keep up with the SF Guareni Evolution main speakers quite nicely. In addition, I just upgraded the streaming from Mconnect to Roon Nucleus+ w/ DSP engine and started using the parametric filtering (DSP engine). Unbelievable difference! If I would have heard this streaming before buying the PSA DS DMP; might have canceled the order. Streaming is amazing, especially with DSP engine. After measuring the room acoustics, I’ve matched the parametric filter to the measured acoustics and listening. After I have broken in the Roon (~month) Nucleus+, I will then introduce convolution filtering to the Nucleus+; reason for the Nucleus+ instead of Nucleus. I have also ordered the AQVOX SE GB ENET switch and moved my library storage into the Nucleus+ (1TB Samsung 860 pro SSD), instead of the QNAP Ethernet NAS. I only have 200 GB (wav) files (~250 CDs) and don’t think I will be buying a lot of CD/SACDs down the road. This streaming is the bomb, SQ, ease of use, and tons of meta-data.

When dealing with room acoustics; first pick a “good” room (not cubic/spherical, ideally not shared and well insulated); find the ideal speaker/listening setup (including subs); measure the room then add treatments; finally dial in DSP (which only ‘treats’ a single location) being careful not to try “treating” narrow dips which are inaudible anyway and would cause amps to clips and fry speakers.

One of my favorite audio similes.

SVS are fine subs for the money. I had a pair of the SB13 a while back. Swapped for JL Audio F113v2 pair. JL are more musical I find. Faster, tighter, better control. But I strongly recommend a Jensen hi level to XLR converter. Amazing difference in my system. I posted these finding in other posts.

My dealer called me and told me I needed a REL S/2 and came round and put it in. I was going to get another and he said no. I called him the other day about a couple of S3’s and he hasn’t called back, so thanks to Chris1948 I called a company called BK who used to make them for REL and now make and sell direct for a fraction of the price.
Anyway, here’s a professionally located S2 sitting in the corner in a much larger room than Watchdog507’s, works a treat. The dealer did it by ear, but I checked it with REW and a usb microphone. He was spot on.

@stevensegal - Here is a pair of REL S3/SHO subs next to SF Guareni Evolution mains… With Roon Nucleus+ DSP engine engaged (parametric) after measuring the room, they sound amazing. Need to really break them in before measuring the room. You would be surprised after break in. Next step is convolution filtering…