Sunlight: Sound Impressions

It is interesting that you feel the same way that I do about sunlight. I have always perceived every update as a positve forward step. That was true until sunlight. I have given it many hours but I am not enjoying it as much as I do Windom.

1 Like

think im gonna go back to windom for a bit. some dramatic stuff with sunlight. but need to hear windom again to see whats what?

interesting dilemna. appreciate other views so i dont feel just wrong in what i perceive!

2 Likes

Still loving Sunlight even more so with the Auralic and NOS tubes. I’m still waiting on the Edcor’s!

I’m loving Sunlight also for the I2S signal coming from my NuWave Phono Converter–a clear improvement there. it’s two, two, two upgrades in one!

1 Like

On DS JR with Ayre integrated and Sonus Faber speakers, sunlight was nearly perfect upgrade - the SFs are generally a bit smooth and some may say laid back, the Sunlight upgrade provided the right amount of punch. Need to redial in my sub though - seem to have a bit more overlap at low end - using Sumiko s9 - similar to REL with Neutrix connector to integrated.

3 Likes

I continue to be really delighted with Sunlight in my system. Maybe it’s because I run tube amps (Primaluna Dialogue Premiums) and a BHK Pre both with vintage tubes. Mostly it’s the dimensionality and low noise floor that makes me shake my head and get goosebumps from. As always, YMMV, but for me and my system, I find Sunlight to be an incredible improvement over Windom which, to me, was already fantastic…

7 Likes

I would appreciate if anyone owning a Luxman L-550AXII Class A integrated amplifier (or an earlier version of the 550A) connected to a DSD Sr. (with the latest Sunlight firmware) could send me a Private Email telling me how do you rate the SQ of your system and also tell me if the L-550AXII is reliable, and if coping with the extra heat dissipation represents an issue.

I presently own an Accuphase E-370 integrated and I would say that it has a very accurate sound with may a bit of a edgy sound in the highs and I am considering switching to the L-550AXII in the hope of getting warmer vocal tones, especially with female voices (high pitch tone).

Thank you in advance for any interesting comments you may have.
I would also be interested to hear from you if you own another brand of “affordable” Class A integrated amplifier. For example, I would love to get a Pass Lab, but they are outside my price range.

1 Like

Have you tried an Accuphase E-380?

I have a friend using one and I believe it is fuller sounding, with better bass and less edgy in the highs.

Might be an idea if you like the Accuphase sound.

1 Like

Nice suggestion.
I will try to compare the Luxman L-550AXII against the Accuphase E-380 …

After a few weeks now, I know, that I could live happily with “Sunlight” for the years to come. Nothing is perfect anyway… And if it would be, nobody could marvel about the DS2 in the near future :grinning:

3 Likes