Super Caps?

Curious if any of the current regenerators use them, I think not?
What are the differences vs “regular” caps.

Reading about the NAGRA Classic PSU, for example, which touts the benefits of super caps. (It is considerably more expensive than even the P20, so not really comparable).

Super caps are more like batteries in some ways than caps: they can hold a lot more power per volume than a cap but they can’t be charged or discharged as fast as a cap. They have a more limited lifetime than a cap, but are more robust than a battery. In a lot of ways they are between batteries and caps.

2 Likes

Thank you Ted, interesting!
Connecting one of the Nagra super-cap PSUs into my P20 can only improve the sound, I would think? It would then feed an integrated Nagra DAC/preamp/headphone amp.

I don’t see why that wouldn’t work fine.

2 Likes

I suppose another difference is that a battery will provide complete isolation from the mains.
Although a PSA Regenerator feeding a supercap component I suppose is very close to complete isolation.
Generally, what can handle a faster current draw: a supercap or battery?

I have a full nagra HD setup with super caps. Preamp and dac work just fine with my p20. But I couldn’t make the power amp work. The p20 starts to hum very loud and thd out goes way up.

So, if you are staying with the low current devices (pre and dac), you should not face any trouble.

By the way, the HD line is really a piece of art.

Cheers!

Hi, wow, very nice!

The HD Amp must have a killer power supply section.

I have the Tube DAC and just acquired a new MPS (with battery). I was going to get the Classic PSU (with supercaps) but since the P20 is feeding power, I didn’t think the noise reduction of the Classic would be noticeable, and it was about $10k more expensive.

I have a question about stacking the Nagra components. For the new HD line, they are meant to be stacked; but for the older HD or current Classic line, Nagra says not to stack the PSU (Classic or MPS), since it has a large transformer. Despite this, most photos show the components stacked.

In my case, I can only stack them. One reviewer complained of compressed dynamics and lack of inner detail when they were stacked; I can’t see how that could manifest itself? I would expect line noise when the volume is increased to high levels, if there was interference from the transformer. Anything else to check? I’m just concerned that I’m leaving some quality “on the table”, as it were!

Thanks

Don’t think so. And I agree with you that it looks like overreaction it the reviewer. I just remembered that I have a friend with a tube dac + classic preamp + classic psi, all connected to a p10. He doesn’t stack the equipment.

But if you look close, the cabinets have little slots for stacking the equipment

Yes, you’re right, the cabinets have indents for the optional spike feet!

Perhaps others here can chime in on whether the proximity of an AC transformer can affect dynamics and “inner detail” (what does “inner” mean?!), without also causing a buzz/line noise?