System Photos!

Awesome room. Everything about it.
You even had the floor joists spaced closer together beneath the speakers.

In process of setting up a 2nd system with the Infinity Modulus speakers with Conrad Johnson PV10al tube preamp and Conrad Johnson MV55 tube poweramp. The small room is quite lively and needs to be toned down a bit.

The Modulus subwoofer driver to cabinet surround has been refoamed.
The original modulus satellite surrounds are still intact.
After room treatments are in place a powerplant might be added (the tubes really liked the P12 when in the main system).

18 Likes

Thanks for sharing your audio journey audiohippo. Looks like leaps and bounds improvement in aesthetics and acoustics…and I’m sure sound! Congrats!

Feeling a bit nostalgic and bored haha. This photo from a few years ago. I thought I’d share a speaker that was custom built for me. I chose what I wanted for drivers and basic design shape along with veneer. Notice outboard crossover!

The EL34 beast that drove them:

16 Likes

Love the rack, would you mind if I asked where you got it?

That is alright. I also have that set of Infinity standing in my collection.
More love Michael

1 Like

Thanks! The stand is over 20 years old.
I either purchased the tv stand at a store that closed down many years ago or from Boltz.com
The manufacturer might have been Bello or O’sullivan (there are no labels). I will have to dig out the manual.

1 Like

But I don’t have any of the super-rare (and better-sounding) Infinity’s that you have.

1 Like

That large soft dome mid looks similar to the proprietary one made by ATC
for their best monitors and is one of the best.

I have not seen 901s for quite a while. Last summer I sold my pair of series 1 for $475 after purchasing from the original owner in 1969 for $375-half price. They followed me for years to many new homes. Now if just the general price level had stayed the same!

MarkH

1 Like

That’s because it is! Good eye!
Raven R2 ribbon tweeter
ATC 3 inch dome midrange
Focal polyglass bass driver

2 Likes

Those 2 words in the same sentence, LOL. But with 6 per channel, that has to give off some serious heat

1 Like

Hah, wattage wise only 150 WPC but with dual mono in single chassis it was a large chunk of iron. If I recall correctly around 130lbs. I didn’t like wrestling it in place :sweat_smile:

1 Like

The Balanced MiniDSP boards work way better than the Analog EQ Boxes. The honest truth is the Series 1 & 2 (Sealed Box) 901’s are the best but Market Value is not very good even if they are in good/excellent Condition. The Series 3 - 6 are crap because of the foam rot issues, cheapening of the EQ, and the plastic speaker baffles. I call them the Ported Blunders.

Anyone for some open baffle goodness? By far, STILL my best sounding speakers… GR-Research X-Statik loudspeakers with fully upgraded crossovers and No-Rez. I’ve owned these for over 12 years and they just get better and better, and always amaze me, even after all this time with them.

I haven’t put the spikes on them yet as I’m still playing around with placement, which I think I might have finally found.

And my little music buddy…

25 Likes

Thanks for the photos. I am going to order a set of GR Research NX-Tremes and a set of dual or triple servo subs to go with them. I’m glad to hear you have had good results and they are still good after all these years.

2 Likes

New rack, along with some new gear. PrimaLuna Evo 400 preamp mates oh so nicely with the BHK 300’s.

32 Likes

I remember seeing those speakers before on the Internet. Look great still. I’d wonder what your thoughts on spiking vs not vs decoupling(Isoacoustics) if you get to experimenting. I’ve tried all the above including sorbothane pads.

What a beautiful space! Love the color on the Focals! Congrats and enjoy in good health!

1 Like

They compare favorably to the Klipsch? Seems like you had just gotten those guys dialed in.