System Photos!

Gosh, the ol’ sub woofer and neighbor trouble. I ran into neighbor trouble a while back and it just came down to communicating, and seeing when it was appropriate for me to get a little squirrely with the volume control. :grin: My listening room is now a completely separate room from the house, and you can’t hear a thing in the main house. I haven’t heard the 805D3s yet, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they have pretty solid bass response.

1 Like

DAMN! I swear you system looks better every day. :grinning: Maybe it’s just the better lighting, but dang it’s pretty.

1 Like

Thank you sir for the very kind words! :+1::wink:

Solved the odd issue with my system and the new (to me) M700 amps.

For whatever reason, adding this amps into the mix didn’t jive with my subs phase settings.

I don’t know how or why, but I had to completely readjust the phase switch and continuous phase knob on both subs in order to get everything sounding right again, and boy is it better than even before!

Before M700’s:
Left sub - Phase switch at 180* - Phase knob at 0*
Right sub - Phase switch at 0* - Phase knob at 130-ish*

After M700’s:
Left sub - Phase switch at 0* - Phase knob at 245-ish*
Right sub - Phase switch at 0* - Phase knob at 185-ish*

Lastly, I had to bump up the gains on both subs just a touch.

This is the Tidal album I used to do my listening and tweaking… Track - Neon Lights

2 Likes

Good to know. I am also contemplating adding a pair of subs with the same M700 amp setup.

Chops,
Congratulations on your new Amps, I had my fingers crossed. Always felt you would solve your sub problem. Is there a burn in time for the Amps. Lets us know how the SQ improves as playing time lapses.
Chas

Thank you Chas.

I had my eyes crossed. LOL

There is a burn-in for the amps, but since these are lightly used, they have roughly 600 hours on them powering just the panels of electrostats.

I did hear a little improvement only because they were in a cold FedEx truck all morning and it only got up to 58 degrees where today. The sound improved a bit once they fully warmed up.

There’s quite a difference between them and the amps they replaced.

1 Like

Whilst the cat’s away the mice will play.

I’m starting to understand her objection to electrostatics.

10 Likes

Cable lifts for intellectuals - Haruki Murakami on the left channel and A J P Taylor on the right channel.
A J P Taylor on left channel and Yukio Mishima on the right channel would probably be more appropriate.

7 Likes

avid- congratulations on the upgrade. I can imagine your system sounds great! I have never heard the Double Bass but to me the Cello and Violin SE sounded almost identical. I went a different route and upgraded with a pair of subs. I agree, the birds look impressive and probably sound the same. Very few dealers in the states (down to one?). Too bad, I’d love to hear Lawrence’s newer stuff. He’s a talented designer. Aesthetics might be polarizing for some but to me they look like works of art.

Steven, pour her one of those gins (maybe a double) turn the lights out and she may not notice.
Is see a power cable reel lurking beside the cabinet, this will be acting as an inductor if something is plugged into it. Cheers

Here’s my brand new Sprout 100 with my Rogers Ls 3/5 for burn in. It must play in my PC room.
More love Denmark

7 Likes

She put up with them for couple of months and then made her views plain. She’s back on Sunday so a few more days. Nothing comes close to their realism.

The power cables are for the speakers only and have no impact on the sound.

There is certainty something seductive about electrostatics. My DIY system (posting 860 on 10th of Feb) has 3 panels based on the Quad 57. Their clarity and ability to communicate the emotion of a performance is something else. Cheers

They just sound natural unlike anything else. I’ve heard speakers that 100 times more and don’t come close.
Listening to Cécile McLorin Salvant singing through these is something else. Fortunately it only takes a few minutes to wheel them in, plug in the cables and swap over the SD card in the back of the Devialet (no DSP and power limited to 100w to avoid accidents).

1 Like

My doctor prescribed at least 1 hour per night of complete system immersion.

Raidho D1
JL Audio f112 v2
JL CR1 Crossover
PS DirectStream
PS BHK Pre
PS BHK300
PS P15
Oppo BDP105
Pro-ject RPM 9.2
Sumiko EVO III
Roon Server
Aptitlig Isolation
Harmonic Technolgy cables
PS Power Cords

24 Likes

Its stunning. Did you do the woodwork?

Lovely and tidy with little to distract. Can you turn off those unit displays? Just another superb example of why in medium to smaller size rooms you are almost certainly better with two-way speakers and subwoofers. Personally I’d get someone to make a nice Perspex cover to stick over the turntable. Has it got any isolation?

Yes and thank you! It’s made of about $800 in solid oak from Home Depot. It was a fun little project. I also did the bigger quadratic diffusers behind the speakers from a kit. The rest of the diffusers are Vicoustic. The diffusers are tremendously effective.

Here’s my original design for the cabinet:

6 Likes

Great! When I had carpeting, I used tea cups.