System sounds bright (going for neutral/reference tuning)

I heard good things about these, but I do not have personal experience with them.

I was satisfied with the WWPS7 and stopped there. I get the impression you are locked in on the Topping gear thus the cable suggestions. Yes you can achieve more with amp/dac changes, but that opens pandoras box. The cable suggestions are a simple way to try to reign things in. If not satisfied, assuming you purchases lightly used, you should be able to resell them with out taking a financial loss.
EDIT: I should add I had a Revelation Audio HDMI and was not impressed with the build quality, and that is being kind.

If you are local I can arrange for a loan of my WWPS7 series USB and HDMI.

Many thanks for the suggestion:

I also had this in the back of my mind if I might have to replace the DAC as this could potentially be the issue.

I was thinking that the Benchmark DAC3B, RME ADI or the Gustard A26 may be the best replacements for this as I need to try to follow a neutral sound for my goal. As far as I know, the Gustard A26 is the best performing dac under $2500.

1 Like

No problem, thanks for letting me know.

I personally would focus on the used market. US Audio Mart is your friend.

Have fun!

2 Likes

If you’re considering replacing your DAC, you would do yourself a disservice if you didn’t add Denafrips to your list. The Ares is amazing for less than $900. US.

2 Likes

For used equipment The Music Room is also a great place to find some gems.

2 Likes

…and Audiogon; and Hi-Fi Shark will allow you to search multiple used marketplaces on the 'Net.

FYI:

1 Like

I haven’t used any of the Wireworld cables, but here is what I wrote in another thread about my experience with Tubulus:

I should add that my system (to my ears) is well-balanced, neither too bright nor too soft.

I was also worried about switching gear as that then adds an unfamiliar sound to the setup so I wanted to potentially swap the DAC as a last resort. I would ideally like to get this issue ironed out by taming it with cables.

I live in the UK in an area where there aren’t any serious hifi shops or have a popular hifi interest so its hard to demo gear.

Where are you based?

Cheers, i’ll have to consider it.

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your recommendation. I’ve heard a lot of good things about Denafrips.

Never came across this site before. Thanks for letting me know! I already see some decent pricing on certain products.

I’m a big fan of HIFI Shark, definitely is an ease to browse and to find a lot of good pricing.

Thanks

1 Like

If you are into mastering then I don’t need to suggest eq / dsp to you.
I mean separate from your mastering chain of course, just for the monitoring setup.

Have you considered (and maybe rejected as it is not bit perfect) the idea?

Edit - uk here too, was a studio rat many years ago, when tape was still the main master destination, mixing desks were analogue, but digital FX, and sequencer/hard disk recording were just starting to be integrated. Interesting time to be around :slight_smile:

Hi,

I think there is just something causing a hint of unnaturalness in the setup. I’ve considered quite a lot and so far changing cables introduces a massive difference in my setup in relation to frequency focus. Its quite odd but I think i’m getting closer.

I’ve been speaking to the main UK contact at audioquest this week and they seemed to think out the cable topologies in my system, its either both digital cables or one of them causing this issue. Nick at AQ has been kind enough to get a UK HIFI based company to send me a audioquest diamond USB for free just to figure out if the USB side is causing an issue.

I’m still waiting on this to be arranged but I’m patiently waiting.

If this resolves the problem, I’ll definitely be buying that cable from AQ. Not familiar with their brand at all but their customer support is top notch!

2 Likes

I’ve always loved being around the different eras of hardware that sounds like you’ve had fun and good experience over the years :blush:

1 Like

I’m a dinosaur I guess, though some folks like the analogue gear again, it’s a rarified market now.

I haven’t touched a proper big console for years. Like many from that world I was sucked into the “strange attractor” that is IT.

USA, Central Wisconsin, and Northern Illinois.

I’ve only ever touched a console once in this studio in LA and it was a recent SSL unit i’m pretty sure.

One day I strive to own a Neve Console :grin:

1 Like