The correct sequence of turning on and off equipements

Recently I saw a post here mentioned that an amp fuse was blown possibly due to incorrect sequence of turning off his components. Therefore, I would like to seek your opinion what is the correct sequence of turning on and off all the components. Please see my system in my signature below, the Melco N1A (on all the time) connected to DSjr (on standby all the time) connected to BHK preamp (on standby all the time) connected to BHK amp (on standby all the time) connected to Focal Supra N2, the VPI turntable connected to Lehmann phono preamp (on all the time) connected to BHK preamp. So, what is the correct sequence to turn these things on and off? I usually heard a relatively loud thump from the speakers when necessary to turn the turntable on and off to change a record, would like to avoid that, but how? Thanks.

I use the 12 volt trigger between my BHK Pre and 250, with the timing set so that the Pre finished start-up a few seconds before the amp. They turn off at the same time and I do get a little thump from the speakers but nothing to worry about. (That could be avoided by turning the amp off manually before the Preamp.) My DAC comes out of standby when I start the Pre up (all using the remote). It’s odd you get the thump turning your tunrtable on and off but I would think you could avoid it by muting the Preamp. I don’t think there is much chance of blowing a fuse if all the PSA equipment is just left in standby as there shouldn’t be any big power surge when coming out of standby.

stevem2 said I use the 12 volt trigger between my BHK Pre and 250, with the timing set so that the Pre finished start-up a few seconds before the amp.
Yes, I forgot to mention that I also use the 12 volt trigger. Is there a correct sequence to turn all these totally off after a listening session? e.g., before leaving for a trip, and a correct sequence to turn all these back on when I come back from a trip? Or really does not matter?

Hi zheng4,

I found this article very informative on the proper sequence in powering on and off the audio system:

http://www.behindthemixer.com/pow-pop-powering-equipment-on-and-off-in-the-right-order/

Simply put, you want to power the system on starting with the source and working to the speakers.

Turning the system off you want to start with the amplifier and work back to the source.

It can be helpful to wait a little for each device to discharge before powering off the next one in the chain.

If using the trigger you may not be allowing enough time for full discharge if you are hearing that “BUMP” in your speakers.

Hope this is helpful.

If you want to speak to us directly please feel free to reach out at service@psaudio.com

Thanks,

• Jeremy

I concur with Jeremy’s recommendation of the amp first when shutting down (and last when powering up). If a transient is sent to the amp from a source component, but the amp is off no damage will be done. If the amp is on … watch out! Case in point, I wasn’t thinking and turned off the power switch on back of the DS with the amp powered up (I think I was doing a power cycle for a firmware update). I got a VERY loud snap sound and the amp immediately went into Fault mode (front light flashing rapidly). I was lucky and din’t damage anything, but I learned my lesson!