The DS and Roon after the delivery of RoonReady

Still working on it. I would suggest that whatever happens it will be well into the first quarter of 2016 before anything might happen.

That soon? My guess would be mid year 2016 at the earliest. Maybe we will be lucky and the RoonSpeaker code will be easy and code changes will not have any effect on the sound. Yeah, Right! cool

J.P.

wingsounds13 said That soon? My guess would be mid year 2016 at the earliest. Maybe we will be lucky and the RoonSpeaker code will be easy and code changes will not have any effect on the sound. Yeah, Right!

J.P.

Not a good news for me but seems realistic …

Hello,

I’m not asking for ETA but only is there is some news about DS to become “RoonReady” ?

Any insights about “feasability” ?

Thank’s

Paul said they had a meeting at CES (2 weeks ago) with Roon and the developer of Bridge 2. The two parties agreed to attempt to make Roon speaker work on the Bridge 2 , Paul in his typical conservative fashion said the chances have gone from 40/60 to 60/40 in favor.

In other word his fingers are still crossed just not as tightly :slight_smile:

Will be a big time bummer if not possible, I have it now on Sonicorbiter and I hear Chromecast Audio is on the way, getting it off the PC does improve SQ.

volpone said Hello,

I’m not asking for ETA but only is there is some news about DS to become “RoonReady” ?

Any insights about “feasability” ?

Thank’s

It would have to be through the Bridge, and only Bridge II. And yes, we’re closer. Roon and our developers are working closely together. No ETA but it’s looking better each week.

Just a question to find out, if Roon is an option for me, as I have 2 major demands, Jriver covers, that I wouldn’t want to miss.

Does Roon provide:

• customizable views available on the smartphone (i.e. category by "bitrate" or "genre \ bitrate" etc.?
  • assets like pdf and cover art selectable for view from play now screen without having them displayed in views together with the music files?
Or something Jriver is missing:
  • Does it have a flac to wav conversion on the fly before playing?
  • Or a button that links to a web search for the currently played album?
jazznut said Does Roon provide:
  • customizable views available on the smartphone (i.e. category by "bitrate" or "genre \ bitrate" etc.?
  • assets like pdf and cover art selectable for view from play now screen without having them displayed in views together with the music files ? Or something Jriver is missing:
  • Does it have a flac to wav conversion on the fly before playing?
  • Or a button that links to a web search for the currently played album
- Customizable views: Yes, very rich multi-criteria customized views, but currently only on tablets or desktop (IOS & Android). The phone app is not released, nor officially announced. UI is quite the same on Tablet and Desktop.
  • Assets (PDF etc …): Not currently, but i think this will be possible in a near future. The database and UI permits it.

• Flac to Wave: Yes, File decoding is always made on the server and the Roon protocol (RAAT) transmits PCM (up to 24/384) via ethernet packets on the network to the audio endpoint. The Roon architecture is different from UPnP. Roon is not supporting UPnP (but few others protocols: RAAT, Airplay, LMS, SongCast …)

• Web search: No, Roon UI is self-contained, so all editorials contents and metadata from external providers (and there is a lot) are agregated in the UI. No links out of Roon on the web. At the artist, album and song level, a lot of informations are linked as in a music oriented Wikipedia:

- Reviews - Lyrics - Detailed credits - Artist's infos (pictures, bios, concerts, similar to, influenced by, followed by etc ..)

There is some videos on You Tube to illustrate Roon User Experience, not easy to describe with words.

Paul McGowan said

It would have to be through the Bridge, and only Bridge II. And yes, we’re closer. Roon and our developers are working closely together. No ETA but it’s looking better each week.

Thank you Paul. Good news !

Bridge II + DS Sound Quality and LCD display are a perfect mix for high-end Roon networked audio endpoint.

Roon is also the perfect tool to offer DS users a very rich and involving musical user experience.

The last time I checked, maybe 3-4 months ago, I was told that Roon would not take advantage of the tagging I have so carefully put into my FLAC files. Unless this has changed, Roon is a complete non-starter for me and probably for many other classical music fans.

Same here. I really like the idea of a well curated tag source, but if I can’t override those tags when ever I want locally I can’t use it

I understand that some (many?) people really like streaming interfaces, but if they don’t let me do the kind of complicated searches/filtering I do without drawing lags and if they demand that I use my mouse to play/manipulate the results they don’t fit into my listening/music working flow.

Yet another ditto.

thanks, didn’t know that.

if I can’t use my custom genre tags, I’m out

jazznut said thanks, didn't know that.

if I can’t use my custom genre tags, I’m out

Just signed up here to correct this – Hi Paul! Hope you don’t mind me dropping in

When Roon launched we got a lot of feedback about our handling of genres, and we responded by updating this functionality back in August. In the current implementation, you get two On|Off switches: Show Genres From File Tags, and Show Roon Genres.

We’re still planning some work for later this year to improve our handling of classical music, but genres are already fully editable in Roon. If you’re looking to import your collection and only see your genre tags, this is possible today with about 3 clicks.

Hi, Mike!

We are delighted to have you here. There is a lot of excitement over Roon.

In addition to genre tags, can one elect to use your own tags in other fields. We classical nerds in particular are often going to want to keep our organizational schemes.

+1

Welcome, Mike.

Thanks Mike! Really appreciate you helping out. For those following this thread, know that Mike is one of the chief architects of Roon and knows his stuff. We’re in the middle of trying to get Roon Endpoint into our Bridge II so users can enjoy the benefits of this amazing interface.

We should point out that you will still need Roon server running the show - and Roon server will need to be on your desktop/laptop somewhere in the home and attached to your network.

MikeRoonLabs said

In the current implementation, you get two On|Off switches: Show Genres From File Tags, and Show Roon Genres.

We’re still planning some work for later this year to improve our handling of classical music, but genres are already fully editable in Roon.

Thanks for giving us this info, Mike. As Elk said, for serious classical listeners it goes way beyond the question of genre. I will be curious to see what you come up with. Giving users the option to see any or all of the tags present in the file would seem to be a logical way to proceed, although it might be incompatible with the Roon way of doing things.

Because I no longer need a USB cable I’ve been able to move mine out of my music room.