The next DirectStream update?

What noise? Do you use a dedicated ground?

The FPGA self noise can always be lowered a little by enough work, but at some point we reach diminishing returns - weā€™re not at the end yet, but I donā€™t know how much better it will get over time. That noise isnā€™t measurable compared to the SDM noise (DSD noise) but it can be more noticeable at times.

I have a couple of possible things to do lower the SDM noise, but I donā€™t think theyā€™ll be in this next release (tho I have part of the code running now.)

For the TSS hardware I have a slight architectural change that should make a measurable (and audible) difference.

4 Likes

Iā€™m surprised Iā€™m the minority here but Iā€™d still be up for a hardware upgrade for the DS along with the SW updates. :grimacing:

1 Like

maybe i am imagining this but i found the DS Jr to have a much lower noise floor than the DS Sr.

Objectively thatā€™s not the case, the DS is about 6db quieter across the spectrum. One can conceive of systems where this wouldnā€™t be as apparent sonically, but I suspect itā€™s more likely that the A/bā€™ing didnā€™t swap just the DSā€™s and use the same cables, power cords, etc. And always itā€™s extremely important to verify that you are listening at the same volume, even a one tick difference on the volume makes a noticeable difference when auditioning with just about anything.

1 Like

glad to know you are a fellow insomniac ted! i think my limited vernacular of hi fi terms
is to blame. what i was trying to say was that i had the ds jr before the sr and
i found that the jr, when not using the attenuator, i was able to playback at a higher volume than
i can with the sr. i am using the same cables, power cord etc and same amp, a rogue rh-5.
for whatever reason the jr played at a higher volume than the sr does with the attenuator not engaged.
its not even close either. the sr if not using the attenuator i have to play at a 25% higher volume
than i did with the jr. so much so that i use the attenuator with the sr when i did not with the jr.
thatā€™s prob not the same thing as what i said, but thatā€™s what i meant if that makes senseā€¦ at any rate a pleasure to converse with you sir!

The output levels of the Jr and Sr are almost identical when using the same attenuator setting (either both hghi or both low). Also they both allow you to go to 106 with the attenuator engaged. Iā€™m not quite sure what was going on in your system that you would have such a noticeable difference.

the only difference was that i changed tubes from telefunken 12au7 to mullard 12au7. also for what itā€™s worth i am only able to go to 100 on the sr, both with and without the attenuation, not to 106.

I just checkedā€¦with attenuation on (ā€œLā€ for ā€œLevelā€ visible in display) I can go to 106 on my DS Sr.

i have my unit in front of me now and just checked again. i am not able
to go beyond 100. on the jr i was able to go beyond 100 but not on the sr.

1 Like

i believed youā€¦ i could get to 106 on the jr but i promise i canā€™t go past 100 on my sr. is it possible i have
some setting in place preventing me from doing this? or do i possibly have a setting affecting my overall sound in some way?

You have the attenuator engaged. This is toggled via the Filter button on the DACā€™s remote. With the attenuator engaged we allow you to go higher than 100 on the volume. Turn off the attenuator and youā€™ll be restricted to 100 but itā€™s a lot louder without the attenuator.

1 Like

Go into the menu setup screen and make sure you have the maximum volume level setting set for 100 and unlocked for non attenuated.

1 Like

no matter whether or not the attenuator is engaged or not i am unable
to go beyond 100 on the volume. it is also unlocked. i have tried everything on my end to get
the unit to go past 100 but i cannot get thereā€¦

this shows the attenuator is off and i am at max vol 100.

Just to double check, are you on a recent release (Huron or Redcloud)? There are two maximum volume settings, one for use when the attenuator isnā€™t used (High) and one for when it is used (Low). You need to change from using the attenuator to not (or the other way around) to get to each. Please see if you can use the remote or explicitly tap on the + or - on the screen to exceed 100. Iā€™ve never used the bridge, but thereā€™s a chance that your control software is overriding your volume settings so check with some other input selected to make sure.

hi ted

i am on redcloud, whether the attenuator is in use or not i am unable to go past 100. i checked usb as you suggested and i am maxed out at 100 on usb as well. attaching photo. !

The photo I posted was using the Bridge II card for input.

1 Like