Red Cloud upgrade

Never could get excited over Huron in my system, went back to Torrey’s recently and it sounded so much fuller than Huron. I will get Red Cloud downloaded and see how it goes. Some have said its similar to Torrey’s but much improved. That would be a good thing in my setup.

Randy

Betcha dollah you dig it.

I just emailed Kevin the following:

I am going to be very honest with you. Past upgrades through Huron have been installed in my two systems.
However, I never experienced any significant change in what I heard compared to the previous firmware.
But, Redcloud, installed two days ago in my NYC system has been wowing me. The improvements have been
immediate, and quite noticeable. I would describe it as removing several veils allowing me to hear much more
closely what I would imagine hearing in a live performance. A very significant sonic improvement over all prior firmware.
I am very anxious to hear it in my Long Island system (which I will on Friday) where I have a more complete PS Audio system
front end connected to my Dali Megalines.
Congrats to all for producing Redcloud.

Herb

@khorn1 (assuming this is Randy Austin, since this @showed up):

My feeling so far is that all of the Prior Iterations (for the Junior, going back three or so) are consistent with this one. To me, Huron was an aberration. That sounds kinda harsh. Maybe just ‘not consistent’ with the rest.

This is not to say that some folks may not find Huron to be better on their system, etc. - there are too many variables in terms of personal taste, hearing, associated gear (especially speakers), etc.

Had the same experience with Huron as Herbert and Randy - didn’t really like what I heard in my setup, but couldn’t nail down what it was.

Congrats on Redcloud, I absolutely love this release!! So much more open and detailed, WOW!

Really great work and kudos to Ted and team!! 77_gif

No issues with Roon and the Bridge-II upgrade either b.t.w…

I’ve been through 4 or 5 releases and, IMO, Red Cloud is the best to-date. To me Red Cloud has better clarity, micro-dynamics, and spatial imaging…so much so that I don’t have to hype-up my expectations. I can’t remember when I was so enamored with my system.

For me, Redcloud is a more significant upgrade than when my modest stereo initially went from a BMC PureDac to the DS Jr. I’m sure many will be skeptical about that, but there’s no doubt in my mind. Proof that my cables need upgrading?

Me again. I’ve had Red Cloud installed for less than 24 hrs and find it to be just plain spectacular. I bought my DS DAC new in July 2015, and I have never really been wow’d by it. Matter of fact, many times I considered selling it. For what I paid, I expected to hypnotized to the music; and past updates did little to nothing for me. Red Cloud is a game-changer. It brings this DAC up to my $6K-dollar expectations. If you’ve owned your DS DAC as long as I, and have been thru the sequential updates, you are bound to notice a HUGE difference. IMO previous updates, pale in comparison. For the 1st time, I truly happy with my DirectStream DAC. Red Cloud is THE premier update to date. But don’t take my word for it, do the update and pen your own experience.

Randy Austin said

Never could get excited over Huron in my system, went back to Torrey’s recently and it sounded so much fuller than Huron. I will get Red Cloud downloaded and see how it goes. Some have said its similar to Torrey’s but much improved. That would be a good thing in my setup.

Randy

If you don’t discern an improvement in red cloud; something is wrong with your system and/or your hearing

Or he has a different set of preferences.

wbk said

If you don’t discern an improvement in red cloud; something is wrong with your system and/or your hearing

That was a bit harsh, just like Huron (I was a bit disappointed by the rave reviews it received). Redcloud is much more musical than Huron, but Torrey’s is my favorite so far.

Now I’ve listened to Redcloud enough that I can understand why some people think it’s too forward. Some recordings do sound a lot more forward than I prefer. Still, I consider Redcloud a big step forward.

These recordings reminded me of something I’d thought about a while ago. Maybe down the road all of this awesome fgpa programming can be expanded to include something along the lines of tone controls. I’m sure Ted can come up with a 21st century approach. Just a modest proposal :slight_smile:

n2djazz said

…I bought my DS DAC new in July 2015, and I have never really been wow’d by it. Matter of fact, many times I considered selling it…

Me too, except I eventually bought an Esoteric when several iterations of DS software didn't really wow me either. Now with these glowing reports on Redcloud, accompanied with technical explanations on what was done to get it how it is, I'm seriously tempted to try the Redcloud update for myself. However no DS update has ever worked for me in the past as expected first go, and thus I have some trepidation at the prospect of another possibly troublesome update. From what I've read thus far there have been far fewer owner reports of troublesome updates with Redcloud than all previous versions.
shaft234 said

These recordings reminded me of something I’d thought about a while ago. Maybe down the road all of this awesome fgpa programming can be expanded to include something along the lines of tone controls. I’m sure Ted can come up with a 21st century approach. Just a modest proposal :slight_smile:

I too wanted some sort of tone control and my system problems were alleviated with this device. . . I really had lower expectations for this device than has proved to be the true experience–it has really helped me to dial in my entire system and also improve the listening to problematic discs. It’s far more versatile a device that I suspected it would be. Just wanted to mention it for consideration. . . .

If you guys are looking for some tone control with some actual control, the Schiit Loki is a pretty cool little box. It’s really an equalizer but not built like the crappy equalizers we used 20 to 30 years ago.

http://www.schiit.com/products/loki

I took the plunge and tried the DSJ Redcloud update via PS Audio supplied USB stick.

Didn’t work.

Tried again.

Didn’t work.

I’m still on Huron.

It’s as if the DSJ is not reading the USB stick (no blinking PS logo when DSJ powered on with USB stick installed).

The same USB stick when stuck in the PC and the 4 update files are all there present and seemingly correct.

I give up.

I’m done with this update caper, every firmware version has been problematic to update.

It can stay on Huron after all the effort it took with Dennis K intervention to get it to Torreys forced, and then to Yale forced, and then to Huron.

If you haven’t tried this already,try this, turn off the DSJr with the rear power switch, leave off for about a minute or so, then power up, from the back power switch, while holding the standby switch on the left front of the DSJr down, that will reset the DSJr, and hopefully get you updated. Try the reset with and without the USB stick inserted. Worth a try. Good luck.

David said

If you haven’t tried this already,try this, turn off the DSJr with the rear power switch, leave off for about a minute or so, then power up, from the back power switch, while holding the standby switch on the left front of the DSJr down, that will reset the DSJr, and hopefully get you updated. Try the reset with and without the USB stick inserted. Worth a try. Good luck.

I’ve previously suggested the same thing to others with problematic DSJ. I’d already tried this and it makes no difference to the outcome.

@brodricj

I’m sorry to hear you’re having a hard time with the upgrade on your DSj. Can I ask what FW versions are displayed on your version menu? I’d like to help you get this resolved so you can upgrade to Redcloud and also not have any problems with future updates.

Regards,

Matt

DSJ_Version_Screen.jpg

brodricj said . . . every firmware version has been problematic to update.
You have gone through a ridiculous amount of trouble over the last year+ trying to get updates to work. I always feel bad reading of your tribulations. I wish I had something to suggest to assist you.