The next DirectStream update?

Thanks for the update…

No worries! I am so excited to be alive while this stuff is being created/happening. Yesterday with Darren was one of the most fun, technically fascinating, and musically rewarding (on the listening side) days of my life. He’s the Man. Not to mention Ted and Paul :laughing:

4 Likes

Replace the SD card with a blank one so the only files are cover art related.
If you have a lot of cover art filed on your original SD card (along with the FW files) simply copy it to the stand-alone cover art SD card.
That way you can be sure there isn’t a possibility of the FW being corrupted by an accidental overwrite.
If you feel the need to update the FW again just put in the card that has only the extracted FW files and power down/up again.

Hopefully end of this week or maybe beginning of next.

3 Likes

Brilliant news! Want to see if it can ‘tame’ even some poor SQ Tidal tracks and get some more musicality out of these.

Not sure about “poor” tracks, some can’t be fixed - but when doing the listening the other day, we were only using Tidal via a cheap Belkin USB cable (haven’t unearthed the box that has my good USB cables for the galvanic isolation rig yet). It all sounds way better, even via a less than optimal source.

1 Like

Outstanding!

Ted,

I bought my DAC soon after it was released and have applied all the firmware updates since, every time I think “man, you have hit it out of the park” with the new firmware, but with the Snowmass update I’d say “man, you hit a ‘grand slam’ with this one”!

Last night I spent some “quality time” with my CDs and I found the bass is more “distinct”, the individual voices and instruments seem to have more “space” around them, the stereo image is more stable, the soundstage is improved, and the midrange is much more “natural” sounding!

Thank you for all your great work with this DAC!

Does anyone have an objection to closing this thread and continuing with just one thread on Snowmass so that everything relating to the new firmware is in one location?

9 Likes

Just close it. Thanks.