The passing of the touch screens and all the neat features they support

So many never even hooked up the ethernet and set up cover art and track list for one! I know this because I hear them on the forum say so.

Metadata and cover art is acquired by the ripping drive / server based on online databases. Mistakes happen and this can be corrected. You see album details on the tablet including critique, credits, similar albums, similar artists, other albums by the same artist and sometimes a little biography of main artsit(s). When streaming online, the stream provider takes care of it. So, any user with tablet has those features, but may elect to ignore them.

I enjoy the ability to do that with my DMP which sounds better than any streamer or server out there.

Not bothering to hook up an Ethernet connection to display cover art is fairly meaningless as far as taking advantage of the equipment’s features. This is merely a bit of eye-candy for those who like such things.

I own and use a lot of pro gear. None of it has touchscreens - can’t really think of any major studio gear companies’ hardware that does. On the other hand, many major software DAWs (digital audio workstations) have great iPad apps that replicate physical controls with their UI.

But beyond that, after many years of digital recording gear moving more and more toward “in the box” (done entirely in the computer with software rather than external hardware) the trend has been toward external hardware controllers, so you can simply put your hands on the knobs and faders again and (get ready for it) Actually Listen while you record and mix rather than stare at a screen.

I’ve only had a PWT for the past year or so, but never really used the touchscreen. Heck, I’ve barely even used the transport, since CDs are low on my list for listening formats. (Maybe that will change as I have a PS Audio DAC on the way).

1 Like

How is that not taking advantage of the feature if you do not use it! You prove my point for me. I happen to use that feature and enjoy it! Others complain about it without even trying it!

And that is your choice. in my case my DMP is my primary source of enjoyment!

There are also hardware accessories one can buy for use with a DAW which consist of hard switches and dials to control the DAW with hardware instead of relying on a mouse.

The point is that displaying cover art is incidental to a DAC or transport - eye candy, a toy. It has nothing to do with the operation of the machine and, hopefully, has no effect on the sound.

It reminds me of the switch in the cockpit of my Z06 which raises and then retracts the large display screen to reveal a good sized “secret” compartment. Completely nonsense, but cute - it amuses your average six-year old. But I would hardly criticize someone who never opens it as “never bothering to make use of all the features.”

As with all things, YMMV. I appreciate there are those who adore displaying cover art.

Of course! The app idea sounds like a good one.

1 Like

That is exactly what I was referring to. Here’s an old one:

And a more recent version of a similar thing that has other advantages not relevant to the topic:

And for color grading video:

All of these functions were and are done in software on a computer with a mouse/trackpad/etc. But these make your life a lot easier, more efficient and intuitive.

In the case of color grading, the benefit is the opposite of audio - you can KEEP staring at the screen (the video you are grading) while making adjustments, rather than having to repeatedly look down at a keyboard.

Rereading your post, this is exactly one of things you were describing. Sorry!

And good examples, by the way. I find even a large touchscreen is not nearly as comfortable to work with than physical controls.

1 Like

This is perhaps a bit more on topic. As others likely have mentioned, I’m not sure in this day and age why a phone-size screen on the other side of the room is better than even a small tablet in the sweet spot (aside from the necessity for an app and tablet). But if we’re going to argue that an expensive piece of gear should have a touchscreen, it should have an app nowadays. Which is a huge touchscreen.

Here is Apple’s Logic Pro X with a fun demo track open that came with a recent release. It is a full multitrack recording of Billie Eilish’s “Ocean Eyes”. Her brother Finneas (the engineer) records primarily “in the box” on a laptop, as has/do bands like Radiohead, etc. In both examples, I’m pretty sure they take advantage of full-on mixing and mastering facilities at the end, however.

As a side note - even audiophiles have found some of Eilish’s recordings pass muster. What surprised me is how heavily track-and-EFX-laden this seemingly simple and open-sounding song is. This shot doesn’t show all of either.

Back on topic - here it is with the Logic Pro app open on an iPad, to one of the…approximately 97 screens available (I’m guessing here. Kidding, actually). So - all of that complexity you see on the big monitor can be controlled from an iPad.

3 Likes

This has gone way off track from my original post. I simply stated that I was not a fan of the idea of removing the touch screens. I happen to be one who has put allot of effort into data filling my CD collection so they display track information and cover art. No I don’t spend time staring at the screen as some have said. But I do ,like to see the cover art and track information when I first insert the disk I than dim the display when listening. I would he satisfied if an app would provide that function to a tablet. I do not discount someone else who does not want to use these functions. I find it so easy to use the s green on my DAC to select and even name inputs. I use the screen on my power plant to check the functioning and name outlets etc. There is no need to connect a computer to do so. This was all I was trying to say with mourning the loss of the touch screens.

3 Likes

Your post led to an interesting discussion.

It is always fascinating how differently people view the same features, etc.

2 Likes

Thanks

yes to the windows 8 thing, i still can’t believe folks took it seriously as a desktop paradigm. even the most popular (at the time) linux desktop went the same way, and still persists with it (i am told, i switched to a different desktop instantly, at least with linux you can).

do it all from a chair on a tablet?
but that requires more programming effort and expense, at least to get it established.

:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

ha! Logic has sure moved on - i last used it on my atari mega ste 4 MB RAM and a 250 MB HD hanging off the back - version 2 i think, still have the dongle/midi interface on a shelf :slight_smile:

1 Like

It just occurred to me that there has been no mention of the electronic noise these screens generate. There was some discussion of that in the past.

1 Like