Theoretica Applied Physics BACCH

Thank you @ViperRGD and @Vmax !
This is very persuasive indeed!! I think I have found my next move after the DSD Mk2…

2 Likes

Al and Edgar meet.

17 Likes

Spread the gospel according to BAACH. Is the Music Room exhibiting? Thought they pulled out.

1 Like

I think I saw them when reconnoitering earlier today.

They will not have a room but sponsor the lanyards for the Gold Pass tickets.

1 Like

Ask Edgar if BAACH will have a future offering for PC users ?

2 Likes

Bacch doesn’t impact the position of center stage vocalists, they don’t move forward or backward.

And no, Bacch doesn’t bring the musicians too close for comfort. But they will surround you, breaking free from their constrained linear alignment left to right of the speakers to occupying a hemispheric space about your listening position. While some binaural recordings may come uncomfortably close to the listener for effect, I have not felt this with musical recordings. I think you will be surprised how engaging Bacch is on many “intimate” recordings where the accompaniment musicians are wrapped around the vocalist and given their own space to breathe. Classic jazz recordings can be breathtaking.

I am using the software only, intro version of Bacch running through an older Mac Air (not M1) streaming via USB to Matrix then I2S to DSD and have not had any issues. A similar set-up would be the easiest path to demoing the Bacch filters in your home. I would certainly do so before making an investment on new speakers as Bacch could change your criteria there as well.

5 Likes

I listened to the BACCH today at Axpona, and WOW, with WOW being an understatement.

9 Likes

I spent a bit of time in his room today. I’ll ask him tomorrow. He doesn’t let people who own his gear sit in the sweet spots. We have to sit off to the side.

In the next room they have Dutch and Dutch 8C speakers. In that tiny room they sound phenomenal! I told the man in charge go next door and get a BACCH-SP. He informed me he owns an adio, same as me. His partner owns the BACCH4MAC. So there were three people in the room and all three of us have seen the light.

He was going to bring it and use it but that would be inappropriate to use one of those to show off his speakers. I loved the 8C’s. Maybe more than the Estelon Extremes. With the 8C’s and a BACCH all you need is an MU1.

Speaking of the MU1, I stopped into the Grimm room where they have the MU1 driving their excellent speakers. Two Ethernet cables connect the powered speakers to the MU1. Nothing else is required. It sounded stunning! My goodness. Eelco is a very fun person to meet.

I like it here.

9 Likes

That’s a minimal number of boxes and maybe where I should go :thinking:
Keep up the great reporting

1 Like

Without Bacch, the instruments are already floating 3D between the speakers. But the vocalist is still somewhat glued to the wall. I would like to see her a meter forward, free in the room…

I particularly like intimate acoustic recordings with one, or a few instruments and voice between yourself and the speakers. Can anyone clarify if Bacch makes this possible?

Could it be that with Bacch4mac (audiophile) the vocalist does get into the room a bit more?

I have attached an image showing what I mean. Forgive me for my drawing skills.

1 Like

The bacch dSP primary vocalist in most stereo recordings stays centered between the speakers. The back up vocalists or sound booth recordings sometimes get way forward. The early Beatles Albums like Seargent Pepper with track vocals get way out in the room as do instrumentals. . If the recording is Binaural the vocalist can be anywhere like on Chesky demos. It all depends on the recording and where people stood or the track mixing where they end up

The Bacch dSP does little for mono recordings.

My daughter came over last night for her first Bacch dSP experience. I set her up with a personal filter then went to work preparing dinner. I’d peak in on her seeing her smiling ear to ear. I played her some binaural recordings the look on her face was priceless. She spent five hours with the ipad in Roon glued in the sweet spot playing whatever came to mind.

10 Likes

That’s remarkable! That does say something about the Bacch’s performance, I can imagine you enjoy having your daughter immersed in the music!

I understand that it depends in terms of recording and that with Binaural recordings you can place the singer almost anywhere in the room. The latter I see more as icing on the cake.

Considering I can’t demo Bacch and also have to buy a Mac mini and besides the babyface another DDC especially for this project I have another question about the position of the vocalist if you don’t mind. :slight_smile:

I made another image showing where I usually observe the voice. E.g. on acoustic recordings of Chantal Chamberland, Cassandra Beck, Eva Cassidy? With the same question when it comes to regular recordings from the 80’s, populair non audiophile tracks, audiophile music and so on…

Can you please indicate what I can expect with BacchDSP in terms of the voice positions: regular, 1, 2, 3, 4?j

1 Like

My system for most recordings 1/3 at 2, 1/3 of time at 2.5, 1/6 time ar 3, 1/6 time any lace els more left or right not in center. It is all rhow it was recorded. Sometimes vocalist turn. You can even hear that.

2 Likes

We’ve had BACCH4MAC Intro for a few months now and we think it has given our system the most bang for the buck sonic improvement over anything else we did in the past. For just $1K our system took a quantum leap. We have never listened to so mush music, we used to have movie night together now it’s music nightly!

That being said, we would love to hear from some of our Audiophile friends that has heard the different versions of BACCH, especially MAC intro vs Audiophile (+) etc.

Thank You,
Steve08226

5 Likes

Thank you, that was very helpful!

May I ask one last question… What position where to vocalist before Bacch was in the game?

Usually at the front wall or behind it. I have speakers designed to be positioned on the wall. If you pull them out into room your images come forward, but you lose flat bass response to 16Hz.

1 Like

My thoughts as well, the Grimm room offered a special and outstanding sound. I didn’t stop in on all rooms, and skipped the majority of the first floor rooms, but from what I heard Grimm was one of several stand-out rooms.

3 Likes

Yes, I believe so. The RME interface you listed has XLR analog inputs (for the microphones) and connects to the Mac Mini. I would just verify by asking Theoretica Applied Physics at info@theoretica.us

1 Like

Any RME product that can get mics into your Mac can be used. I have the RME UFX and Edgar said that will work.

2 Likes