Theoretica Applied Physics BACCH

I am hoping the adio gets ORC pretty soon :upside_down_face:

For now I love letting the adio just do xtc.

I wish I had another system to do B4M.

1 Like

@scotte1 Just a first short caveatā€¦ BACCH Labs (shop.bacch.com) and Theoretica Applied Physics (theoretica.myshopify.com) both are related to Edgar and Princeton. But to my knowledge, if you later want to go the full BACCH route with the full-blown software, then Theoretica is the way to start. At least that has been how it has worked so far.

Looks like there are threads about BACCH on JRiver and Audirvana portals. The JRiver one might be helpful for you.

I use USB from a Mac Mini to a PSA DS MK2 at present. I did just have the thought that maybe there is a way to UPnP out from a Mac to the AirLens. I just loaded FireStream for example. But unfortunately, I did not get very far in trying to use it to output with my Theoretica BACCH4Mac to anything at all. It seemed more for outputting from standard Mac applications to UPnP.

Hopefully someone else has some better or more complete ideas!

1 Like

Iā€™m firmly on the Mac side of things. Iā€™ve been an instructor in all things Mac for 30+ years. If anything, I find the RME and BACCH DSP software to be very un-Mac like. In other words, non-intuitive and overly complex to setup. Again, written documentation and tutorial videos from Theoretica would be helpful. My system is pretty complex.

McIntosh C500T has a very unique and versatile signal routing system. It has recording and listening processor loops. Iā€™m running all analog audio through the listening loop to the Babyface and back (two turntables, Ayon CD player, two reel to reel decks, digital recorder, Roon, etc. I could also connect the digital devices directly to the Babyface, bypassing the AD converters, which Iā€™m attempting to do. Also, Iā€™m still trying to figure out how and where to place an external DAC into the chain.

@scotte1 I have been happily using u-BACCH with JRM since September. It is an easy install and they will gladly help you with it if needed. I have it in the DSP studio so with a simple tap I can engage or disengage it . It is well worth the expense. I started a thread on u-BACH here and Audiogon which will provide more details.

1 Like

Screen Shot of my setup. So far it works and sounds great! Listened to Otis Redding Dock Of A Bay on Analogue Productions 45 RPM. Fantastic! Like heā€™s in the room with youā€¦

1 Like

It gets way more complicated with ORC.

I have zero experience with the software only version so I cannot be of assistance.
I would strongly encourage you to peel off Twenty-five large and just dive in proper.
What could go wrong?

2 Likes

Man, thatā€™s the worst possible answer.

Now I have to put it on my give it a try soon list. :wink:

Thanks so much.

Just to be clear, JRM is JRIver Media Center, correct?

1 Like

A new threadā€¦?

I am often torn b/t

ā€œLet your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand. Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto Godā€; and

ā€œModeration is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excessā€.

1 Like

I started shortly after I purchased it. It was for u-BACCH. The search engine here isnā€™t the best but I put essentially the information on Audiogon. There is a 14 day free trial that should give you enough time to decide whether to buy it or not.

1 Like

Found it:

1 Like

Twentyfive K!
Twentyfive K!
Twentyfive K!
Twentyfive K!
Twentyfive K!

3 Likes

Can anyone here recommend a good VNC or Remote Desktop app for iPad control of BACCH DSP?

I tried to find one but failed.
I use my MacBook to control it.

I would think an Apple Magic Trackpad would be useful for driving around the screen. It needs Bluetooth I suspect. I just use a Logitech combi keyboard and touchpad. But I keep having to translate between Apple and Windows buttons.

Hey Al,

I just took the plunge and bought the Bacch4mac package (for now, without ORC as Prof Edgar told me to wait for the official launch). Your opinion was very important for my decision.

Since I am digital only, and use only one source (Roon), I was planning to connect my Mac miniā€™s USB to my dac. In your experience, will it work? Do I need to have room software I my Mac mini, or the Bacch software includes the raat?

Thanks.

1 Like

Iā€™ve used Screens from time to time and it works quite well with a slick interface to go with it.

Edovia Screens

1 Like

That is what I am doing with my Bacch4Mac, USB from the Mini to my DAC. No issues. Edgar told me the Mini could also be my Roon Server but I havenā€™t tried that. Congrats on your decision!

2 Likes

Thanks! I am very excited to see what this algorithm can do. I know that solving the cross-talk issue at the listening position has been a big challenge to the industry for a long time.

2 Likes