Things to do and pass the time at home

Alas, I must leave you good folks. A corny series on HULU, Lodge 49, beckons. I will return,
Chas

Deleted

1 Like

I’m about halfway through “The Splendid and the Vile” by Erik Larson. I highly recommend it.

1 Like

His books are wonderful. I particularly enjoyed The Devil in the White City.

2 Likes

I’m really enjoying this one. I recently reread “The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich” so this is a good account from the London perspective.

You are a serious reader of WII history. The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich is very readable, but not for the faint of heart. Reading a modern more scholarly work is a perfect balance.

If you want good and accessible WWII history books, Atkinson’s Liberation Trilogy can’t be beat. Want to go a little deeper? Hastings and Overy are both exceptional. Want to go REALLY deep? Start the Glantz books on the Eastern Front.

Or, hey, some Airpower propaganda…my ACSC thesis.

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a471896.pdf

Lol.

4 Likes

Continuing the woodworking theme, I bought a board from Home Depot that was for a live edge bench and made it into a live edge serving board. I sealed the live edge with multiple coats of clear matt urethane. Then I sanded it smooth and applied food grade oil sealant and food grade wax after to polish it and away we went.

Before

After

6 Likes

Nice work! I’m just going with Tung Oil Varnish.

Last time I put oil varnish on walnut in winter, had to wait till spring to reapply!

I had to make sure that you could place food on the board. I skipped all finishes but edible oils and wax. There’s enough stuff out there to make me sick with out my help.

1 Like

Deleted

The low fat solution !

Deleted

4 Likes

My top reco is this stuff. Urethane reinforced oil topcoat. Gives a bulletproof finish. Amazing, if you can find it.

Oh - for sure. Lotta sanding to do yet, and I’ll hold off on the finishing until it is consistently warm enough to do it in the garage.

Yup. Not planning on eating off either, and I really like the sort of “almost unfinished” look and feel of the wood without a hard coating.

My family being from the East Coast originally, I’m a multiple-coats-of Marine Varnish guy. Used it (with gel stain) to great effect on my former fiberglass front door (with sidelites and fake wood grain). Once finished, you couldn’t tell it wasn’t real - except for the weight. The door guy at the hardware store talked me out of buying a solid oak door set, pointing out that whatever you did, it would change size and split and generally be a PITA to maintain, while the fiberglass could have the look without the hassle. Or cost. Glad I listened to him.

However, these applications for the cherry bits above do not require completely impervious finishes. I won’t be setting any wet glasses on them. I had the opportunity to paw a bunch of BFA’s finished work (the place where the Slab Room is) and pick their brains about how they got the various finishes they had. They mostly just use TOV.

http://www.boulderfurniturearts.com

Yup, I’ve used it and it works great, but can take some time to fully cure. The GF stuff is tung oil with some urethane for additional toughness. Became aware of this when we lived in Milwaukee. General Finishes was from somewhere around there.

You can always add some water resistance after the fact with some Renaissance wax. Won’t mess up that hand rubbed look.

1 Like

Lotta local walnut hereabouts. The cherry had to come from elsewhere.
image image