Timbre Matching with FR30s

Hi All! I’m just breaking in my new FR30s and am completely in love. Now it’s time to upgrade the rest of my home theater setup.

I would like to find a great center channel that could match the timbre of the FR30s. I’m leaning towards the KEF Q650c but I wanted to see if anyone in the community has found a great match.

I have an Anthem AVM 70 and MCA 525 Gen 2 on order. The FR30s are using BHK Preamp and BHK Mono 300s

Thank you!

4 Likes

I don’t know about timbre matching, but I have a MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL C which uses an electrostatic tweeter and midrange. It could be a good match.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Welcome!

Thank you!

You can also wait for PS Audio to release their bookshelf and just get one as the center channel. At the rate PSA is releasing now, it will be sooner than later is my guess. I found the timber matching to be over blown… I am using Klipsch RC64III with Magico A5, couldn’t be any more different, and I didn’t notice or bother by the timber differences, there’s typical not too much cross channel vocal, save for those few and far between voice effects that you won’t notice anyway.

3 Likes

The FR10 and FR5 are soon to be launched and either would make a great. CT. The 10s launch in a couple of days. The FR5s launch end of February.

15 Likes

Exciting stuff!

1 Like

I second the idea of hunting for a speaker using similar mid-range and especially high frequency driver types.

The higher frequencies seem to cause most tonal issues, in my experience.

2 Likes

Thanks, Paul! I appreciate the response and thanks for improving my life with your amazing products!

2 Likes

I am honored, my friend! Thanks for being part of the HiFi Family.

3 Likes

A third FR30 would probably match…Just sayin’ :innocent: :wink:

3 Likes

Nice idea, but hard to get a tower to get out of the way of screen monitor if that is the setup.

3 Likes

Correction. FR5s not until this summer. FR10s next week. See pictures.

1 Like

How cool would that be with an FR10 in the center!

Wait–will they sell them individually?

Yes, I know we’re happy to sell single units. The website shows pairs (for simplicity of showing the total price in pairs) but it’s no problem to send individual boxes.

The aspen FR5 will be packed in pairs but we stock replacement packaging and I’m sure we could figure out a way to sell singles for the occasional request for that.

8 Likes

Happy cake day @RonP !

3 Likes

What are the dimensions of the FR5s? Will PS Audio also sell a stand to suit?

8” wide, 14” tall, 12” deep. And yes, we have custom stands for them too.

2 Likes

Hi Chris! I’d like to buy one of the FR10s for a center channel but I was just told by sales that they are available in pairs only. Could you please confirm? Thank you!!

I believe Chris posted earlier that you can order individual speakers.

2 Likes