Torreys Final Issues and Questions for Ted

Torreys Final sounds phenomenal but there is an issue: I have bridge one. When playing through the Bridge via JRiver MC20, track, artist and album names now all end with an extra “?”. This was not the problem with Yale. Any idea why and how to fix this?

Ted: I have a SONY XA333ES which I use to play CD and fed signal to DirectStream via coaxial cable (i.e. a transport)). When playing copy-protected CD, I noticed regular dropout from DirectStream. Analogue output of XA333ES seems to be fine. Any idea why this is happening and is it possible to resolve in next firmware update?

Dennis will have to answer about the bridge issue.

The DS doesn’t pay attention to the copy protect bit in the S/PDIF stream (or any other bits except the preemphasis marker, valid and parity bits) and doesn’t otherwise know that a copy protected CD is playing. There’s nothing it can do, except play the bits it gets. Does the display show anything different during the dropout? If the disc that causes it is available commercially here perhaps I can try it in my SCD-C555ES or DVP-S9000ES (I sold my SCD-XA777ES and SCD-777ES a while back.)

I can check as well, also having a CD SACD player, if I have the CD or access to it. Which copy-protected CDs are causing problems for you?

I also use Bridge 1 and have the same issue with a single question mark showing after the track, artist and album names since upgrading to Torreys (final). Hardly a big problem, but maybe Dennis could check to see if this is unit specific or a generic problem with all Bridge 1’s and Torreys.

Ted Smith said Dennis will have to answer about the bridge issue.

The DS doesn’t pay attention to the copy protect bit in the S/PDIF stream (or any other bits except the preemphasis marker, valid and parity bits) and doesn’t otherwise know that a copy protected CD is playing. There’s nothing it can do, except play the bits it gets. Does the display show anything different during the dropout? If the disc that causes it is available commercially here perhaps I can try it in my SCD-C555ES or DVP-S9000ES (I sold my SCD-XA777ES and SCD-777ES a while back.)

It’s “Coldplay X&Y”.

The copy protection on that disk adds intentional errors. How those errors are handled depends on the hardware that’s trying to read it. They design the errors to do exactly what’s happening to you. They want most audio players to play the disc reliably without too much interference from the errors but also they want most PC’s, etc. to get errors reading the disk and dropouts if you ignore those errors. This disc also attempts to install some software if you put it into your PC, so at least make sure autorun is off and that you deny permissions to do an install.

Ted Smith said This disc also attempts to install some software if you put it into your PC,
Nasty! I've known about autorun -- and kept it turned off -- for a long time, but it never occurred to me that this kind of thing would be an issue with an audio CD. (Now that I think about it, of course I see the possibilities.) Thanks for the heads-up, Ted!

Some are worse than that, some Sony discs surreptitiously installed a rootkit (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal)

Watch out for “CDs” that don’t have the CD logo or mention copy protection anywhere on the box. Then check them out online, there are a few sites with pretty big lists of copy protected CDs.

Here’s a paper with details about some other discs: https://jhalderm.com/pub/papers/cdcopy-drm02.pdf

Thanks for those links, Ted. I love the quote at page 17 of the Halderman paper:

One likes to believe in the freedom of music,
But glittering prizes and endless compromises
Shatter the illusion of integrity.

—Rush, “The Spirit of Radio”