Twist-lock AC plugs, a bit of a rant

We used Powercons on our Genesis servo amplifiers and to be honest I’ve never been a fan. Though I understand the appeal and ease of the connector and its satisfying click, if you take them apart they are cheesy and up to the standards I would be comfortable with having part of our products.

Paul, well, that’s a bummer… I have never used a powercon so will trust your judgment. Still think thick cables with a standard Edison plug is a pretty sucktastic combination tho…maybe someday the market will change…

Sounds like an opportunity to design your own, remove the cheesy, and get Neutrik to make them.

1 Like

They are not bad and I don’t want to sound so negative. Which I did. They are cool connectors and as Brodric says, that “click” when they lock in is worth the price of admission alone. That said, if you take them apart the contact area is really small and less than what I would be comfortable with.

Now that is one hell of a good idea.

1 Like

Paul, go for it. I want to be clear that I have never had issues with the receptacles in my PS Audio power units (I have now owned at least four!!) or the IEC’s thereunto pertaining. It’s the heavy cables with Edison plugs going into the wall that caused my exasperation. In the meantime, having recently installed a bunch of Hubbell hospital-grade outlets, I don’t feel like moving my rack and doing that again, but I may experiment with the Furutech or Wattgate right-angle plugs.

It actually is a good idea.

Here’s a somewhat kludged but conceivably useful solution: https://www.hubbell.com/wiringdevice-kellems/en/Products/Electrical-Electronic/Wiring-Devices/Straight-Blade-Devices/Plugs-Connectors/HBL5280C/p/1634101

BTW there are two very good cords that I have tried lately that are very flexible: Zu Audio Event, and (surprisingly) any of the Sablons. But I await a new series from PS Audio.

1 Like