USB Cables and DirectStream

Well Paul, Ted,

It looks like the Bryston BDP2 and the Direct Steam will not work together via USB.

Here is the response below that I received yesterday from Bryston; (Chris Rice) after he remotely attempted to configure the usb connection.

Is there any hope for a firmware fix?

Ken

Hi Ken,
I've taken a look at the USB dac (Direct Stream), it is seen by the BDP as a USB class 2 audio device, an entry is made; however when ever the playback software attempts to access it a communication error is produced. I suspect there is something wrong with there implementation of the firmware they are using or incompatibility with the chipset they happen to use.
Cheers,
Chris
Embedded Linux Engineer

Not related to ozzymilton’s post, but an update.

1. The USB cable manufacturer will test the cable for me. Gee, I wonder what he’ll say about it?

When trying BitPerfect on that cable, I got a flashing display of success, but nothing that would stick. I wonder if the signal was chopped, somehow.

1. Using a generic USB cable, I got around to running BitPerfect again via PureMusic. Solid display of goodness.

2. I have a Pangea cable coming in today. I’ll be testing it later.

ozzymilton said Well Paul, Ted,

It looks like the Bryston BDP2 and the Direct Steam will not work together via USB.

Here is the response below that I received yesterday from Bryston; (Chris Rice) after he remotely attempted to configure the usb connection.

Is there any hope for a firmware fix?

Ken

Hi Ken,
I've taken a look at the USB dac (Direct Stream), it is seen by the BDP as a USB class 2 audio device, an entry is made; however when ever the playback software attempts to access it a communication error is produced. I suspect there is something wrong with there implementation of the firmware they are using or incompatibility with the chipset they happen to use.
Cheers,
Chris
Embedded Linux Engineer
There are several questions that would help me track down where the problem is located.
  1. What version of linux are the using?
  2. What version of the USB 2.0 audio driver are the using?
  3. What processor does their device use?
  4. What player software are they using?
  5. What is the error code they are getting?
  6. is the Error from their player or the USB driver?
This will help me track down where the issue located. I have tried the DS one 2 versions of linux, 3.4 running on an ARM using MPD as the player, and Ubuntu 13.1 running jriver. Both with no problems. Any other information that will help me track down the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Dennis

Dennis,

To be totally straight with you, I don’t know the answers to your questions.

Chris Rice can be contacted at Bryston 1-800-632-827. If you could talk to him, between the 2 companies perhaps a solution can be found.

There are probably many of us with the Direct Stream Dac that may use the Bryston BDP2 usb player.

Thank you,

Ken

Can you email me hil email address to dennis@psaudio.com?

Dennis

Does the DS work with the spdif or AES outputs?

Dennis

Dennis, Yes the DS works fine with the spdif or AES intputs.

Just the usb doesn’t want to click.

Dennis Kerrisk said Does the DS work with the spdif or AES outputs?

Dennis

Thanks. I am just make sure if USB is the only problem.

Dennis

Dennis,

No luck with the Bryston BDP2 and the Direct Stream with USB ?

Ken

ozzymilton said Dennis,

No luck with the Bryston BDP2 and the Direct Stream with USB ?

Ken

With the information I have recieved from Bryston I have not been able to determine where thwe problem is or fix it.

Dennis

Dennis, Still no luck getting the Bryston to work with the Direct stream via USB ?

Ken

Ken,

I have reproduced the problem, but I have not found a solution.

Dennis

Dennis,

Thanks for the update, I hope you can find a solution.

Ken