I decided to pop for a used DSJ. $2000 for a mint condition DSJ with Sunlight installed. I use the Bridge II input exclusively. Not concerned at all about there being no more software updates. None of the rest of my gear gets updates. The Sunlight update seems to be extremely well-regarded.
It sounds great, the Bridge II works perfectly. I have identified four Android apps which can locate the Bridge on my network and stream to it, including the Lumin app.
That said, if I was not going to use the Bridge, I would probably have gone with one of the used DS sr on the market, I’ve seen a number in the $2500-$2700 range.
Good decision. I’m still with DSJ. I’m feeding it I2s from Audiobyte Hydra-Z. Tried several other dac’s in the same price range and some amplified chineese brands during 3 years of ownership. It’s hard to replace it because it have entry high end sound that’s unique. Specially with latest firmware it’s already finished product.
My Jr started having spasms with multiple symptoms a few weeks ago and is now on its way back to Boulder for diagnostics and hopefully successful repair. I love it and miss it dearly.
PSAudio told me they may not be able to repair all possible failures and the cap is $750, which I consider a bargain.
If they cannot repair it, they offer a generous discount on the DS II. They treat their customers well. I hope Jr can be fixed, but if it’s the Bridge II, which I think it is, may not be able to source a replacement. It’s made by Convers Digital, which I think is one guy in Korea. When I think of them, I picture the guy that designs replicants eyes in Bladerunner.
That answers a question I had. Unfortunately though, too late to do any good.
My Jr. could have been fixed after all. My Jr. was DOA with a dead Bridge when I bought it new, and I was sent a replacement Conversdigital board. That board worked fine for a few years, then the Bridge board died again. I’m thinking that the service department wanted to go through and check it out to see why two Bridge boards have died in it and see if there was a problem elsewhere.
It doesn’t matter in the near term since I’m now using an AirLens, but it’s the resale value. Mainly I want to replace it with a used DS v1 for 1) the extra I2S input (as I plan on a Denafrips Hermes next year for my other digital sources), and 2) so I can have a black case, not silver. I just don’t know how difficult it’s going to be to move it along with a dead Bridge.