Using equipment that is connected to the regenerator with others connected to the wall, together

Hello everyone.

I want to try using my equipment this way: putting the valve mono amps connected directly to the wall receptacles and all the rest (preamp, dac, etc) connected to my P15 regenerator. However my mains is single phase 220V and the P15 produces only double phase 220V output (110/110).

Maybe it seems to be a silly question, but better safe than sorry: is there any risk connecting my equipment this way?

Thank you all in advance.

The question sounds silly or no one have done this before?

I don’t understand your question, really (not an electrician or EE).

That said, as long as the P15 and your components are rated for the power system in the country where you are using it, the P15 will work just fine plugged into your wall outlet and your components will work just fine plugged into your P15.

Hi, @scotte1. As stated, the power came from my mains is composed by a 220VAC single phase (Hot-Neutral) but the P15 outputs a 220VAC double phase instead (110V Hot - inverted 110V Hot).

Today I connected my preamp to the mains and my dac to the P15’s output and measured the AC potencial between the negative RCA connector of the dac (output) to the negative RCA input connector of the preamp (input) and surprisedly I found a voltage of ˜94V between then. When I do the same with both equipment connected to the P15 or the mains, this potencial drops to zero! So, it seems clear that one cannot have signal connections between equipment powered in different ways.

In a way I don’t understand, the use of a single or double phase mains interferes in the negative potencial reference of the signal connections.

The “negative” rca generally is connected to ground. If you find almost 100v in a rca jack, you could have a serious issue.

What is the potential if you measure the p15 ground against your outlet ground?

@jvvita,I did what you suggested and found ˜56 VAC between the P15 ground and my outlet!!! This is very strange. Apparently the system works as expected when all equipment is connected to it. However I cannot explain what’s happening. FYI, my mains are correctly connected.

Do you have any clue what’s going on?

It seems like a grounding issue.

Do you have any other power equipment/treatment between the outlets and the P15? Or is the p15 connected directly to the outlet?

What tension do you find between neutral and ground on your outlet? What is the tension between each hot and ground coming out of the p15?

What is strange is that I have never heard of the p15 “breaking” the 220v hot into two 110v, as if creating a balanced power feed.

Do you have any other power equipment/treatment between the outlets and the P15? Or is the p15 connected directly to the outlet?

No. The outlet it’s plugged into comes straight from my house’s distribution board.

What tension do you find between neutral and ground on your outlet? What is the tension between each hot and ground coming out of the p15?

Outlet: Hot-Neutral = ˜223 VAC / Hot-Ground = ˜223 VAC / Neutral-Ground = 250 mVAC
P15*: Hot-Neutral = ˜221,5 VAC / Hot-Ground = ˜160,2 VAC / Neutral-Ground = 55,6 VAC

(*) set to 220VAC output

What is strange is that I have never heard of the p15 “breaking” the 220v hot into two 110v, as if creating a balanced power feed.

Me neither. However it has worked as expected up to this very date.

It sounds like you have a serious grounding issue with your P15. Try to measure the potential between a metal part of the chassis of the p15and the ground of your outlet. Should it higher than 1 or 2v, it could be dangerous.

If this is so, unplug your P15 and talk to Fábio.

It sounds like you have a serious grounding issue with your P15. Try to measure the potential between a metal part of the chassis of the p15and the ground of your outlet. Should it higher than 1 or 2v, it could be dangerous.

I measured it and it’s zero. It seems that at least the cabinet is correctly connected to ground.

If this is so, unplug your P15 and talk to Fábio.

Yes, I have contacted Fabio yet.

Thank you very much for your kind support, @jvvita. :fist_right: :fist_left: