Visual impact on Sound Quality

Simple brain no doubt. Sometimes easily distracted, I need a non-cluttered foreground to best appreciate and see sound quality. Rather than facing the woods out back, adding this cheap diffusion background, about $100 total cost, not only enhanced sound quality through sound wave dispersion but its abstractness eased my appreciation of the main event – the music and its portrayal…even though my mind wonders from time to time to seeing new visual patterns and reveal various sound stage wonders.

I noticed, again, at the Florida Audio Expo this past weekend that the best sounding rooms use colored lights on the forward wall in particular…ala @luca.pelliccioli stunning, elegant, and symmetrical system photos. Others here employ such feng shui as well.

So I tried it. Again, a cheap light fixture and a controllable light bulb (remote-controlled color and brightness). Presto, sound quality intensified another step even greater than some hardware components do. (notice my cheap cable risers, about $5, and my relatively-cheap, old system)

I had the fine opportunity to discuss this matter, among many others, with the designer (Florian Wiegand) of Clarisys Auditorium speakers (phenomenally presented and performing by Suncoast Audio with 6 VAC mono amps (each speaker triple amplified, one for each ribbon/planar array), the system price totaling about $1,000,000, including MSB DAC stack, VAC pre-amp, Aurender, VPI HW40, an active analog crossover, the latest Critical Mass racks, appropriate cables, etc).

We agreed that the ‘visual’ contributes importantly to depth of perceived sound stage. After all, our brains are fundamentally crucial in what we perceive, for example our brain creates the sound stage from more or less point-source sound wave generation from the speakers/walls. Undoubtedly, this biology at least partially explains why individuals ‘hear’ different sound qualities from others. (keeping it simple here)

Of course, mileage may vary. As I say about skydiving, ‘try it, you may like it’.

Bonus, the picture provides my latest computer desktop graphic.

17 Likes

Makes perfectly good sense. Calming the mind opens it for all kinds of things.
Love the visual effect!

1 Like

A blind fold works too, in slightly different ways than a diffused pattern for sure. I found I hear differently with a blind fold than without. When blind folded, the gear makes less of a difference. I can’t hear too much of a difference between switches for example.

A pleasant pattern with maybe a focus picture on the forward wall makes a strange focus on sound stage. add some prefered liver poison of choice, then I’m there :smiley: :wine_glass:

1 Like

For me, closing my eyes makes my hearing much better and more enjoyable.

11 Likes

I also remove my eyeglasses.

5 Likes

When my eyes are open, I get a greater sense of imaging. Right now I’m listening to a fabulous sounding mono recording that still has a bit of width, depth and height. When my eyes are closed, things seem to flatten.

1 Like

I mainly listen in the wee hours of the morning til about 8:00 a.m. with a light on in the back of the room behind me. Works well for me. . .I neither need to see a certain tableau before me nor need darkness.

3 Likes

I listen between midnight and 6am. I like a dark room.
(with a bunny in it)

5 Likes

Well of course, a bunny in it. :slight_smile:

In my case. . . I’m up early because the dachshund is in it. It’s taken me a few years, but I’ve gotten used to not sleeping from 3:00 til dawn or so. Being sober helps. I’m almost always sober since '90.

3 Likes

Any sonic differences besides the gnashing of teeth? :wink:

1 Like

For a good listening session I’m always in the dark. Been like that since I was a kid. Don’t know what it is but the music seems so much more involving and detailed. When lights are on, different ball game entirely.

2 Likes

There are times when I have definitely appreciated some recording more with the glasses off.

2 Likes

Too much information.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I’d do that too but then I wouldn’t be able to see my iPad’s screen to control my music. :disguised_face:

1 Like

Having the listening room in a basement, helps a lot with “dark mode”. No matter the hour, I’m always able to create the same scenarios. It’s fundamental to perceive a more engaging experience, more realistic and deeper in contact with the music. Eyes wide open, I feel, I breathe, I dream… the music.
Nevertheless late night is different: the magic is even greater! Can’t explain why. Oh, and the PS Forum is more crowded (from the other side of the ocean) at that hour!

3 Likes

This kind of bunny?

2 Likes

Ha!
With vinyl the iPad/iphone/laptop don’t come into play. One less distraction, which may contribute to my preference for late night listening with the lights dimmed or off completely, and glasses set to the side. A sense of total immersion.

5 Likes