WFMT celebrates 70 years of great classical music

Today marks the 70th anniversary of WFMT Chicago, which the station is celebrating with live music and remembrances from its’ storied past. WFMT is stronger than ever. Remarkable a classical only station has not only survived, but flourished for 70 years and counting. If you’re within broadcast range, tune in. If not, you can stream from anywhere in the world at wfmt.com. We Chicagoans are justifiably proud of this cultural treasure. Enjoy!

5 Likes

WFMT a true Chicago treasure, as is the CSO. Thanks for the mention.
Always on the move it is one of the FM radio streams in my Radio Streaming Favorites List.

1 Like

I always thought of WFMT as kind of the spiritual forebear of Milwaukee’s WFMR, which, at the time I was in architecture school at UW-Milwaukee, was a commercial station that played classical during the day and jazz at night.

2 Likes

Need to check them out. For those who enjoy informed classical music over the air waves and streaming our local community radio offers some exemplary listening opportunities weekly from 5:00 am to 8:00 am.

For those who are not early birds archived shows are available for up to two weeks.
Set the politics aside for a moment and jump in to the deep waters of classical music.

WORT Archives

1 Like

Congrats to WFMT!

My local classical station KUSC just celebrated their 75th anniversary on October 24th.

I’m so glad that the powers that be still realize the importance of commercial free classical broadcasting. :+1:

2 Likes

Love KUSC. When I was living and working in LA (South Bay), my dial was stuck on KUSC. Also miss my summertime favorite activity in LA, the Hollywood Bowl. But Ravinia makes up for that. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing! I wasn’t aware of WFMT and have been enjoying the stream this morning :grinning:

1 Like

Ah, my wife and I buy season tix every year for the Bowl. We really missed not being able to attend in the summer of '19 due of COVID but things are back to (almost) normal now.

1 Like