What are you listening to/watching on YouTube?

I believe sixpack1 has a pair of the B&W 800’s.

1 Like
2 Likes
2 Likes

Usually list this video and others around this time of year

Linus and Lucy

1 Like

Best system I’ve heard via YouTube. Also excellent music selection used in demo.

1 Like

For some reason I think this may be up your strasse, @Elk - a Medieval music countertenor with a hiply-instrumented jazz group. Per Ted Gioia.

From Ted Gioia’s email (do yourself a favor and subscribe to his Substack):

"Pierre Baillot’s updating of an 800-year-old composition.

I liked this so much that I showed it to six other people on Thanksgiving, when I should have been helping prepare the dinner—including my dancer spouse Tara, who said: “I could choreograph to that.”

Baillot provided this background: “During the lockdown here in Paris I met a fantastic countertenor who has a whole repertoire of medieval/early music and baroque music. As a multi-instrumentalist and jazz musician, I immediately saw musical bridges between medieval/early music and oriental/African/Indian music. I decided to rearrange this whole repertoire and we created a unique fusion between all these music genres. The project is called Sprezzatura.” "

1 Like

PLAY THIS LOUD, with subs preferably

1 Like

Enchanting…

Sorta YouTube.

Highly recommended.

Excerpt:
MUSIC focuses on how fine handmade instruments are crafted and the world renowned artists who play them, demonstrating the perfect blend of form and function. The hour features interviews and performances from Joan Baez, Rhiannon Giddens, Director of the Count Basie Orchestra Scotty Barnhart, banjo master Tony Ellis, L.A. Philharmonic timpanist Joseph Pereira, and virtuoso ukulele player Jake Shimabukuro.

3 Likes

Very interesting piece. I’m surprised that they didn’t include dulcimer makers in the list. That is a truly Appalachian instrument. I purchased a beautifully crafted instrument from a furniture maker in Berea, Kentucky, many years ago. I only recently sold it.

As for Martin Guitars, a little fun fact…they were originally a NYC endeavor…
This is the plaque commemorating the original location at 196 Hudson St, in Tribeca.

1 Like

I have built many dulcimers, both fretted and hammered, as well as harpsichords. As a hobbyist I thoroughly enjoy the history of the instruments and seeing the skills of the pros.

As a dulcimer nerd aside comment, the inclusion of the 6 1/2 fret is controversial. Like Mr. May, I always include one, unless someone I am building an instrument for asks for it not to be included and, thus, more “authentic”.

(A dulcimer is otherwise a diatonic instrument. The 6 1/2 fret is an added chromatic fret which provides a good deal of versatility.)

2 Likes