What are you listening to/watching on YouTube?

Song starts around 2:30.

Bruce Springsteen - Spirit In the Night (Live at the Ahmanson Theater, Los Angeles, 1973)

Pink Floyd Mandolin Orchestra Shine On You Crazy Diamond Mank Rüber Preema Bagger Orchester

Joe Bonamassa and Tina Guo from a live set at Carnegie Hall

While I’m at it, here’s a solo version from a concert at Royal Albert Hall. When he was touring with his 4-piece band awhile ago, he would do this piece mid show while the rest of the band took a rest :slight_smile:

3 Likes
2 Likes

That was the most fun 2m57s I’ve spent in a long time!

She looks like she is having so much fun

There’s so much funny, objectifying and non PC going on here…sorry, I love it!!!

Googles “Jane Mansfield’s sweater”…

1 Like

This just makes me so happy…

Leonid and friends play as one would exhibit from a Soviet group, even though the Union is long gone. :slight_smile:

They are always very tight, good musicians, but unrelentingly stiff. I posted a comparison before with an original of Spinning Wheel and Leonid’s version. Same tempo, but while the original is laid back and grooves, Leonid’s is always hard on the beat, driven, hyper.

I have a producer/promoter friend who is bringing them to the States, I think this year. It will be amusing to see them live.

1 Like

I’ll repeat for @elk, “This just makes me so happy.”

I saw that the first time.

There is nothing in my post which states you cannot enjoy their version.

And I do prefer Leonid’s version, although the original is clearly a classic that is thoroughly enjoyable to watch.

As a drummer growing up, I was taught to stay slightly ahead of the beat, albeit very slightly. Perhaps that’s one reason I like the new version; it leans forward a bit more.

If the drummer is ahead of he beat, what instrument is on the beat?

My experience is the rhythm section is on the beat and the rest of us are lagging, on the beat, or pushing depending on the feel of the piece. Really good drummers will have one drum on the beat and will place the other drums behind, on, in front of the beat as appropriate. A great example is Max Roach who held the beat with the ride cymbal and moved the bass drum around.

Leonid and friends do not do anything of this. On all of their recordings I have heard every musician is locked in unforgivingly on to the beat metronomically, regardless of the song. It gives the music a relentless feel.