What Are You Spinning Right Now? (Mk. 2)

This is streaming on TIDAL (I kid you not!):

3 Likes

I also recommend John Holloway’s performance.

folder

3 Likes

Thanks. I’ll cue it up.

I agree, both formats are excellent. I, too, have the LP album. My copy is a mono (VLP9086) pressing from 1965. Verve did a good mastering job with the CD. It’s a great listen.

1 Like

He certainly looked better in the flesh! Little Feat were part of a package that included the WHO, they toured the UK in 1976 and I travelled to Glasgow to watch them play at Celtic Park. Little Feat were the best band by far on that very hot summers day in June.

2 Likes

DSCF4205
DSCF4206

Excellent, TeddyJoe. I, too, have that CD of the live concert.
Harry Manx is a gifted slide guitarist, who plays laptop style. Studied music in India. He was mentored by classical musician, Vishwa Mohan Bhatt.
Another excellent bluesy performance was when he performed with a band at the Glenn Gould Studio. Pure enjoyment!

2 Likes

DSCF4208

3 Likes

Ry Cooder’s The Prodigal Son is a return to form after a succession of politically themed albums.

9 Likes

Thanks Dirk. Road Ragas is the only Harry Manx CD I have. But I’ll stream live at the Glenn Gould Studio later.

1 Like

I still vividly remember the day JFK was shot and I was only 8 years old. :cry:

Chuck Mangione - recorded live at the Hollywood Bowl in 1978…

4 Likes

6 Likes

That record was produced by Buddy Miller. I think he’s a massive talent but loves highly compressed recordings: that’s too bad IMHO.

2 Likes

This is what I was listening to last night.

2 Likes

I agree, 100% spot-on. Excellent music - compressed to death. I bought the CDs first only to discover how badly they sound. I bought the vinyl from a local outlet that was closing-down so I got them at a reduced price. Marginally sonically more acceptable on vinyl. Rhiannon Giddens / Tomorrow Is My Turn. The sound quality is atrocious. Almost makes my ears bleed.

4 Likes

SL1200

The music on this disc is absolutely outstanding but I don’t listen as much as I would like due to the compression. The River’s Gonna Run is a great example. He recorded many of the songs with his wife. The song starts out with a great groove (sounds great too) then builds to the crescendo, with his wife singing killer harmonies, and just sucks the blood out of your ears. Don’t know if the original recording is that bad. Just know it is on this CD.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Elder Scrolls OST\Jeremy Soule, epic stuff! “Atmospherics” on that is amazing ambient.

Also Monument Valley, Hyperlight Drifter, and Cuphead video game soundtracks. And don’t forget the Myst/Riven series music, the Uru soundtrack, classic.

2 Likes

I find I have ended up listening to a lot more atmospheric and ambient albums as of recent. They are super engaging and almost hypnotic. I love it when an album or a piece of music creates a soundscape around and transports you from your listening area to a completely different world.