What are you spinning right now?

Right you are, Elk. Speaking of which, Mississippi, it’s time.

1 Like

Airbrushing history. If only it was that easy. She is from Lake Charles LA. A good friend during my first Air Force assignment at Kadena AFB in Biloxi Mississippi got drunk one night and walked out the back gate and got a Confederate Flag tattooed on his upper arm. He was a good ol boy from Lucedale MS. I think about it all the time only because it was the worst quality tattoo ever. The stars were just blobs of ink. I assume he still regrets the tattoo only because it was so bad!

1 Like

The airbrushing of Confederate flag off of the 1988 Lucinda Williams LP cover was not “airbrushing history” … it was just a modest gesture to spare the public from having to relive that history when they see the LP. It is the album art equivalent of, say, South Carolina removing the Confederate flag from the State Capitol in 2015 (although Lucinda beat South Carolina to it by 27 years!).

Or the removing of the Confederate flag is offensive if one feels differently.

In other words, let’s stop the political, etc. observations now and stick to audio. Audio is controversial enough.

2 Likes

folder

1 Like

boy, I wish I could’ve attended these shows…

1 Like

Very cool record.

1 Like

According to the official movie website, the Blaze Foley biopic opens August 17th in select theaters in Texas, expanding to additional cities nationwide through September.

1 Like

1 Like

Per Nørgård: Concerto in due tempi (Piano Concerto)

1 Like

Alan Rawsthorne: Quintet for oboe, clarinet, horn, bassoon and piano (1962-3)

AMM: Before Driving To The Chapel We Took Coffee With Rick And Jennifer Reed
Keith Rowe / guitar
John Tilbury / piano
Eddie Prévost / drums

1 Like

Symphony No, 99 in E-flat Major. Recorded for Epic/Columbia/Sony in 1957. Stunning performance from Szell and his Cleveland band! Remastered and released by Sony Classical on CD as part of their excellent Masterworks Heritage Series. Also available in a budget box set…

1 Like

Talk Talk “Spirt of Eden”

Joe Henderson “Page One” Blue Note Japan SHM-CD

I spent a lot of potential listening time re-watching the 3rd season of “Better Call Saul” on Blu-ray the last few days. Wow. This is such an excellent show. I’m eager for the beginning of season 4 on Monday!

4 Likes

#11,888 is in the house. September 2nd, 1983 – Boise, ID. This one is from a master cassette tape. The liner notes mention that the whole September ’83 tour was also recorded to PCM (Betamax?)…not sure why they weren’t used…too many dropouts perhaps? Anyway, not the best SQ/mix but very enjoyable never the less.
Garcia would have turned 76 today…

1 Like

In the early 1990’s, I lived in the apartment immediately above Lou Reed’s at 424 West End Avenue in Manhattan. When I moved in and learned from a doorman that Lou was my downstairs neighbor, I was psyched that one of my musical heroes lived in the building. But being a light sleeper with a day job, I worried I would hear loud music and people partying late into the night. As it turned out, I never heard a sound from downstairs … I hope my stereo did not disturb Lou!

5 Likes

I got mine a few days ago but haven’t opened it. I’ll probably sell it. . . I’m not into the Dead with Brent.

Really? Who had more chops than Brent? He was a monster keyboardist!

2 Likes