What protection can I expect from my P10s?

Saturday night sometime we had a power failure. Sunday morn i found the dsd dac with a white screen, dead. Seems when power comesback up the ps stack turns itself on. The dac is headed back for repair.

MY QUESTION: is it better to leave p10s on all the time (screens lit) to keep gear in some almost? on state (gear turned off via their front buttons on dac, bhk pre, dmp, bhk 300s…) or best to Leave p10 screens off while rear switches on p10s remain on?

I do. The P10 will protect from surges and spikes as it should. If then there’s a power failure it will eventually turn itself back on when the power’s restored. Why your DSD was affected is a mystery. It shouldn’t have bothered anything.

So P10 on at all times and components in standby when not in use. The screens themselves can be dimmed or turned off while the units are on or left lit, as you prefer.

What is the difference between screen lit on P10 vs button push to turn it on/off? Does that button only affect the screen?

My best,

Bob

Wood is good.

Heard all over the world.

Read what producers and clients say, and hear why they say it:
www.bobwoodvoiceovers.com

Narrations/commercials. Broadcast/web excellence.

My point was just that the screen can be turned off even if the unit is on using the remote. If you are referring to the blue logo light then I misunderstood you. The logo button puts the unit into standby and takes it out of standby.

Pushing the PS logo turns on the screen and those outlets you have programmed to turn on.

For example, I have my Power Plant programmed to leave one outlet on all the time which powers my DirectStream DAC and and my PWT. All other outlets are switched.

When I push the button and bring the Power Plant out of stand by, my preamp turns on immediately and my amp turns on 15 seconds later. When I push the button to turn the Power Plant off, the amp shuts off immediately and the preamp turns off 15 seconds later. It is pretty slick.

Consider me smart at some things, confused by others. Paul McG has clarified that the p10 should protect…I assume this means even if power company loses and restores power while p10 was on… ie screen lit, showed green plugs on the screen? Gear hooked up blue logo buttons off, rear switches on…

If i push logo button on p10 to turn off, does that only turn off the screen, or does all else remains on (ie power to gear?)

In storms, then, how should i power down? Rear switch on p10? Or just w front button?

My last house was hit by lightning so I am overly cautious.

Still, was surprised to find gear on post power failure/ restore overnight, though the dsd dac was w white screen and no cpr was effective - related to the power off/on? Paul says no.

My best to you!

Bob

Wood is good.

Heard all over the world.

Read what producers and clients say, and hear why they say it: www.bobwoodvoiceovers.com
Narrations/commercials. Broadcast/web excellence.

The P10 protects at all times.

See my post above re what the power button does.

During storms power down and unplug your gear if you are concerned. Nothing protects against a lightning hit.

The issue with your DAC is most likely an unfortunate coincidence.