What to plug into Stellar PowerPlant 3

I’ve kind of asked this question here before, but didn’t get a definitive answer, so trying again: I am building a dedicated listening room and have the fortune to be able to build it from scratch in an unfinished basement. My plan is to purchase the Stellar M700 mono blocks. I will also be running an old-but-great Convergent Audio Technology tube pre-amp and a few other front-end devices. After reading about AC power issues, I plan to run at least 2 dedicated 20A circuits using 10AWG wire. I see that the PowerPlant 3 has 2 outlets that can be switched between “Filtered High Current” or “Regenerated” modes. The plan was to plug the mono blocks into the HC outlets (filtered) and other stuff into the Regen outlets. Does the regen system have enough capacity to negate the need for the extra power stuff I’m doing for the monoblocks? In other words, does the PowerPlant when it regenerates have enough “umph” for the Ms? I’m assuming I don’t need to be concerned about “umph” for other non-amp stuff I plug in?

I can’t speak to the power draw of your preamp and source components, but here’s what I’ve done, with no issues whatsoever (and I ran the topology past JamesH, too, specifically the two ideas of a) plugging the M700s into “regen” and b) inserting a Juice Bar, and he didn’t say not to do it):

Two PSA high current duplex wall receptacles on one dedicated circuit:
P3
Turntable motor (VPI Scout)
Subwoofer (Hsu VTF2-MkII)

P3’s four “always-regen” outlets:
Stellar Gain Cell DAC/preamp
Phono preamp (Channel Islands PEQ1-MkII w AC-15 MkII power supply)
Streamer (Node 2i, soon to be replaced with an Aurender N100H)
PSA Juice Bar

P3’s two switchable outlets set on “regen:”
M700
M700

Juice Bar (all digital source components, powered one at a time):
CD transport (NuPrime CDT8-Pro, soon to be replaced with PSA PST)
SACD player (Marantz SACD 30n, soon to be replaced with PSA PST)
Minidisc deck (an old Sony, rarely used)

As I said, I’ve had no problems, and the sound has been fabulous. Take from all that what you will.

1 Like

Hi Craig.

Thanks much for the reply. That’s what I’m thinking for my setup. But I guess when I have the option to pretty easily install the special sub-panel, breakers, 10AWG wire, and outlets, it makes me wonder whether that might be better to do that and use the High Current setting. I’m assuming that’s what it’s for. Let’s see if anyone else has thoughts on it.

Jon