What's the first thing that should NOT get regenerated power?

If I had to axe something from regen, what is the first to go? Looking for an order to follow. I’d guess perhaps active subs, turntable, roon computer, and a CD trasport might be the first to go, but would love to talk it up with others. The things that won’t get it, will still get a dectet, I’m guessing. Where do LPSs land on the list? I know every system is different, etc. I’m two-channel, listening only myself

Take the subs and then the computer.

1 Like

You’ll hear mixed comments about utilizing a regenerator with a POWER amp. Some says it restricts the amp. I have my Class D multichannel amp on there and it sounds fine. That would be one sure fire way to cut demand.

Pulling the subs would be the first to go for me. Just hook them up to a surge strip. You wouldn’t able to tell a sonic difference either way.

Are you out of power or just plugs? If the latter a quality distribution of one outlet of remaining duplex might be the way I would be tempted to go.

Then I would hook in the low power things Not always on CD and phono HT amp etc

I have two subs with class H plate amps. One of them easily reaches my P10. I’ve run it with and without and I simply can’t tell any difference. It and they sound fabulous straight into the wall.

I’d start with the sub(s). Then possibly the turntable motor. I recall from my old P500 instructions that there could be problems with certain motor types and the use of the multiwave function. I don’t know if that’s still an issue these days, but I decided long ago not to test it with my old Scout’s motor.

I’ll echo the previous opinions regarding subs. In fact, I would almost go so far as to say that powering subs with a regenerator is a waste of time, even if you have the capacity.

Amps are, in my experience, a mixed bag. Going back almost 20 years, I had a cheap integrated amp leftover from the early 90’s that I was looking to sell. I powered it up in my main system to test it, and just out of curiosity, I plugged it in to my P300. The improvement was astounding…almost enough to want to keep it, but I just didn’t have a use for it. I still use that old P300 (rebuilt by PSA about 8 years ago) to power a cheap Monoprice amp in my garage system, and there again, it made a significant improvement. On the other end of the spectrum, my current Krell FPB-200 sounds exactly the same (to me) whether plugged directly in to the wall (on a dedicated 20A circuit) vs. plugging in to my P10. My conclusion, based on a limited data set, is that cheaper amps benefit the most from regeneration, whereas amps that have enormous, over-engineered power supplies see less benefit.

The thing that truly baffles me to this day about regen vs. no regen is my Martin Logan speakers. With both sets I’ve owned (Ascent’s, and now Prodigy’s), they clearly sound better when powered by a Powerplant than without. What’s interesting is that the ONLY thing they use power for is to create the static charge on the membrane, and they draw miniscule current. It’s not a difference that jumps out in your face in an A-B comparison, but if you listen for an hour or two, they just lack the lifelike presentation without the regeneration. When I switch back to the P10 the wall-to-wall soundstage returns. Perhaps it’s the voltage stability that they benefit from…

DAC’s & Preamps are a no-brainer…always use regen on those. I have my DMP transport plugged in to my P10, but I’ll confess that I’ve never listened to it powered any other way, so can’t comment there.

2 Likes