Which Cover Album are You Spinning Right Now?

1 Like

I really like this album - Big Shoes, all covers.
His rendition of A Hard Rains A-gonna Fall is one of the best I’ve heard.

1 Like

1 Like

I like their confidence.

Are there any blues that aren’t covers

1 Like

Sure, one need only turn to the original writer/performer such as Robert Johnson, Lead Belly, T-Bone Walker, Muddy Waters, Howlin’ Wolf, John Lee Hooker, BB. King, etc.

There are also plenty of contemporary blues musicians who are writing original material.

I forgot to add ‘rhetorical’ - I guess I meant the spirit of the blues not the literal individual songs, and yes I realize I didn’t say this; now I have.

Plenty of new themes, approaches, topics, spirit as well.

On the other hand, if by “spirit” you mean expressions of discontent, hard life, sex, etc. the blues are very new and a mere blip. One needs to go back thousands of years to get to the originals.

Blackberry Smoke featuring Amanda Shires covering Tom Petty’s “You Got Lucky.”

1 Like

What a great cover of great lyrics. Recently, I have trying to memorize, “Scare Easy” from TP’s Mudcrutch efforts .

1 Like

That is a nice cover. harkens back to the days when people took their time playing songs…the transition from the 3-minute pop song to longer-form music.

1 Like

They don’t make 'em like Levon Helm anymore. This is an incredible tribute to a great musician.

1 Like

Dont be ashamed! House is a rockin’

2 Likes

2 Likes

From the Bandcamp description: “MAST, aka Tim Conley, pays homage to the significant history of Thelonious Monk and his esteemed compositions while bringing them into the future using modern electronic bleeps, bloops, and beats. . . .”

This is not your father’s Monk album!

Pop songs but quite a nice listen on my birthday. Plus, how cute is her face?!

Congrats!