Wirelesss or hardwire streamin?

Hi Folks,

Recently I’m really confused if its streaming wire or witless. Hope if any experienced folks could help me with it?

My PSD/Bridge has been hardwired to Netgear Modem/Router, with my laptop hardwired as well in the past. I installed a Gigabyte switch between PSD/Bridge and laptop, its also connected with Netgear Modem.

I realized if I unplug laptop Ethernet to Switch, it still played. Then it stopped after I powered off the Switch. Also with laptop wireless connection disabled, it played but no sound.

It should be more stable with hardwired connection as I learn from the forum, but now I don’t know if I have been doing so with the Switch. Please help…thanks folks…

It sounds like your laptop connected wirelessly to your modem/router when you disconnected the physical ethernet connection so it is not surprising that the music continued to play at that point. If the switch is between your PWD and modem/router, you would expect no sound if the switch is powered off as that would mean the PWD is not connected to your network (the PWD does not have built-in wireless capability). If the laptop is not connected either wirelessly or wired to the modem/router (and thus not connected to the network), there would be no sound out of the PWD even if the software you are using to play shows it as playing (it may be trying to play to your internal speakers or to a device it can’t find, such as the PWD). You need a working connection from you laptop to the router and from the router to the PWD to get sound (including any switches that are in the chain).

It may also be that some portion of the track was buffered within the Bridge and that it immediatly would not be concerned with a missing cable or lack of a stop signal, given that there is no handshake. I reckon your laptop contained your music library and not a NAS. You may disable your wifi connection on your laptop. Are both the laptop and Bridge on DHCP?

Thanks heaps Steve and Frode!

Yes my music library is in laptop, and both laptop and Bridge are on DHCP.

If I want to eliminate the wireless connection to go only harewired via the Gigabyte Switch, what do I need to do? #:-S

Just connect your laptop to the switch with an ethernet cable. It should use the wired connection by default when you boot up.

With laptop wireless switched off PSD doesn’t show up as player option, or if no internet connection even wireless on. Once the connection is back then PSD is back on player list…

TURN EVERYTHING OFF.

THEN STARTING AT YOUR ISP MODEM START TURNING EVERYTHING BACK IN ORDER OF THE CONNECTIONS.

IE: MODEM/ ROUTER SWITCH/PC/PWD/ IPAD OR OTHER CONTROLLER.

LET EACH ONE BOOT UP COMPLETELY BEFORE DOING THE NEXT.

I WOULD ALSO DISABLE WIFI ON YOUR PC BEFORE DOING THIS AS IT WILL BLOCK THAT CONNECTION AND PERHAPS FORCE YOU TO SET UP A NEW ETHERNET CONNECTION. MAKE SERE PC AND PWD ARE SET TO DHCP BEFORE THIS PROCEDURE.

I would echo keeping the PC wifi off - turn it off in Device Manager.

Have you activated your hardware NIC when not using wifi?

Yes wifi is always deactivated.

And thanks guys I disabled wireless and it’s working now. :)>-

My experience might sounds silly or personal but just want to share: (My 4GB ram i3 Laptop with music library in HDD, optimized for music streaming, no other program running at the same time, anti virus disabled etc…)

I disabled wireless so only CAT6 hardwired to Linksy Switch with PSD, also Linksy Switch hardwired to Negtear modem, unfortunately still massive drop out with 24192. After wireless switched on Laptop again - with Bridge0.2.2+PSD2.0.2, I can stream 24192 no drop out for hours, occasionally drop out I just need to restart my computer then all is good(seems network issue only); with Bridge0.2.14b+PSD2.0.2 / Bridge0.2.14b+PSD2.2.0 / Bridge0.2.14b+PSD2.4.1 / Bridge0.2.2+PSD2.4.1, all have 24192 drop out but no noise or whatsoever with Bridge0.2.14b. (My PSD was purchased on Oct 2010 and upgraded to MKII on Feb 2012).

I have to say I like Bridge0.2.14b+PSD2.4.1 the most, it’s like the veil has been uplifted, I hear more difference between 24192 and Red Book, high res is analog with more details.

But unfortunately stability is the priority for me, or any dropout/skip just ruin no matter what SQ, right