XLR Splitters and cables for BHK Pre

Conceivably. But this is an active device which I wouldn’t assume would be transparent. It’s also a very large box and I’m definitely trying to avoid more gear.

Chris

I am just curious as to why if the rest of your system was already set up and working why you would not, with all the quality subwoofers on the market just pick one that had the ability to connect simply without the need for add-on parts?

While I do not have experience with this particular unit, Behringer equipment is built to a low price point. Many have observed they copy others’ designs and build them with cheap parts. Their mixers sound dreadful; hard, brittle sound. As XLR splitters contain opamps and other goodies which impact sound, be wary.

1 Like

I am with Elk on this one. I have a couple of equalizers and delay units from them and while functionally good their sound sucks.

Hi Dawkins. I’m not sure what you mean by “add-on parts” in this instance. If you didn’t see in my original and subsequent posts, my speakers are Active. So if you’re implying that I should use speaker-level connections from an amplifier, I don’t have that option.

Agreed, Paul and Elk. I am loathe to add unnecessary active components into the signal chain (unless of course they’re performing at the level of a BHK but of course that’s another whole topic). I’m fairly confident the BHK can drive a high-quality passive splitter nicely… we’ll see.

Thanks all for the input… I have ordered these Mogami splitters, and for now a run of cables from Gotham (at least until I determine what ultimate length I will need). These items and the JL Audio sub are on the way – I’ll report back on results.

Sorry about that Chris, I just saw it while browsing through that place online and thought of you and Highstream. I didn’t know if it was any good or not, but apparently not!

Not to worry!

@Paul could someone confirm the distance that the RCA output connectors protrude from the back of the BHK Preamp chassis? See below a) an engineering diagram below from Purist Audio Designs of their XLR splitter (which specifies a required clearance of 18.75 mm), and b) a mockup of the back of the BHK with the approximate positions of the two splitters.

I would try to measure, but my BHK is in for service. (and sorely missed)

Details:
I’m resurrecting this very dead thread with an update for interested BHK owners:
I need an XLR splitter, and I haven’t yet found one that doesn’t extract a sonic penalty. Recent testing has confirmed that the Mogami 2549 splitters mentioned above, which I used for some time, are NOT VERY TRANSPARENT. This became very obvious while trying some AQ Water / Earth XLRs.

I am hoping the Purist Audio Design top-of-the-line XLR Splitter (which has an engineered aluminum housing, inside of which is their premium cable with an air dialectric) will be compatible. The potential problem is the aluminum housing, which in the splitter’s horizontal iteration protrudes sideways from the XLR plug and would cover (but hopefully clear) the BHK’s RCA output. See diagram below. PLEASE NOTE the engineering diagram shows the VERTICAL orientation. The HORIZONTAL orientation rotates the XLR female connector 90 degrees – necessary since the BHK’s outputs are stacked vertically.

System Info:
For context, I need to drive two amplifiers with XLR inputs (one pair of active speakers, one JL Audio subwoofer) from the BHK. I have long runs (8m) and want to avoid long SE cable runs.

DS > AQ Wind 2m XLR > BHK Pre, XLR out > [splitter goes here]
… > 2x AQ Earth XLR 8m > pair of Focal SM9 active studio monitors
… > 2x AQ Mackenzie XLR 7m > single JL Audio F112v2

Thanks!

@ chris_y Sure, I’ve gotcha. Give me just a little bit.

So, I think you’ll be good. I measure about 12-13mm from chassis to RCA’s farthest point on on the BHK Pre.