XLR versus RCA interconnects

It’s well worth exploring the balanced output. In my case I don’t have XLR inputs on my amp or preamp (and I prefer to listen to the DS without a preamp) and I incorporated a Decware ZBIT which is a device that uses Jensen transformers to take the balanced output and turn it into adjustable single-ended output. This has been excellent for my system, I can use the top range of the balanced output into my amp an added dollop of body and weight to the sound, I can tailor the sound from the three inputs I use on the DS with the volume control. I experimented with a few cables and found that I liked the sound of the Take Five Audio “Deluxe” cables, not cheap, but not mega-dollars, and a very full and detailed cable with no harshness.

Two excellent pro sources of cable (Mogami, Canare, etc.), connectors (Neutrik XLRs, BNC, etc.) and custom made cables (if you prefer to buy bespoke):

http://www.proaudiola.com/

http://www.redco.com/

My MG Audio audio cables are the best I have heard in my system by far. I have tried the following:

Audio Quest Black Mamba II

Morrow Audio MA-4

Kimber Kable Hero , Silver Streak

Wireworld Oasis and Eclipse

The Morrow Audio was the closest, but MG Audio wins hands down

Elk said

Two excellent pro sources of cable (Mogami, Canare, etc.), connectors (Neutrik XLRs, BNC, etc.) and custom made cables (if you prefer to buy bespoke):

http://www.proaudiola.com/
http://www.redco.com/

Elk, I agree with you 100%… Because I previously used Kimber 1036 phono-phono I wanted to equal or better with balanced interconnects, hence ending up buying MG Audio… If I had stuck firm with the Mogami quad star that I built (and had not listened to any other balanced interconnect) I would have been just as happy today… Yes, the Mogami’s bettered the Kimber 1036 phonos with them being fully balanced in my system but, as my wife calls it, the illness to try something else (better!) kicked in…

A friend asked if he could hear the MG Audio cables – as I was flying to Ireland, I told him to go to my house and have a listen – my wife Suzanne would be at home..
Hey Dirk ... that's a lot of faith to put in a friend - and you MG cables intact!

I was browsing this thread because I need a set of XLR’s myself between BHK pre and DS [or between BHK and BHK300’s]. But I’m just not ready now for the megabucks the MG’s would cost in South Africa.

So for the moment I’ll be looking for an “el cheapo” set and it seems Mogami is the way to go.

darrenv1070 said The Morrow Audio was the closest, but MG Audio wins hands down
A few weeks ago I bought some Morrow MA-6 balanced ICs. They are the best I've ever had, noticeably better than the Audioquest Columbia and Nordost Heimdall (original verion) that they replaced -- very subtle and transparent cables. I've never heard the MG wires. Darren, which level of MG cables did you purchase? I see they have a copper and two silver versions.

MG Audio CU2 Balanced.

I did consider the MA-6 or MA-7 from Morrow Audio. If you read about the SSI technology that Mike Morrow uses to build his cable I assume this acts sorta like a filter. Which isn’t always a good thing??

I don’t know if MG Audio is built the same way, I just like the sound they allow in my system. I find all the Kimber Kables I have tried have a super wide sound stage, too wide, so the center image just is weak.

I would be interested in trying the MA-6 or MA-7 at some point for fun.

Just bought a Cary SLP-05 pre-amp to replace my much loved Rogue Super Magnum 99. One of the big reasons was to give balanced cables a go. I’m currently using Morrow MA-4 single ended. I’ll probably trade them for balanced MA-5s. Following the discussion closely. As usual in the audiophile world, not a clear consensus.

amsco15 said

Just bought a Cary SLP-05 pre-amp to replace my much loved Rogue Super Magnum 99. One of the big reasons was to give balanced cables a go. I’m currently using Morrow MA-4 single ended. I’ll probably trade them for balanced MA-5s. Following the discussion closely. As usual in the audiophile world, not a clear consensus.

I’d go up 2 levels to the MA-6.

Talk to Mike Morrow. He’ll help make sure you are happy with your investment.

There are many great cable manufactures particularly in the USA. There are several companies that allow loans of cables before you purchase. Outside of USA/Nth America it can be much harder. Not only do we have to deal with international exchange rates, shipping costs, local taxes etc (30%-50% Inc.) but also purchase without hearing and with the knowledge that if we don’t like them then we will likely suffer a large financial loss.

Many of us suffer from “what might I be missing out” syndrome.

Personally I am considering purchasing Belden Iconoclast XLR loom of cables without any way to audition. Not an inconsiderable investment.

darrenv1070 said I did consider the MA-6 or MA-7 from Morrow Audio. If you read about the SSI technology that Mike Morrow uses to build his cable I assume this acts sorta like a filter. Which isn't always a good thing??
I'm not quite sure what you mean by comparing this to a filter. I bought the Morrow cables partly because people have recommended them and partly because two of the things he does -- small gauge wires and thin dielectric -- have worked well for me in other cables I've tried. Also, the maker of my speakers (Von Schweikert) specifically recommends solid not stranded wire for tighter bass (with my VR IV jr's -- not sure if that's true for all VSA models).

Paul has posted many times on the tech behind the PSA cables. Different runs of different wire sizes, shapes, etc. to carry the frequency range as efficient as possible.

I do like the Morrow Audio cable alot for the ones I’ve tried. I will try a MA-6 or 7 at some point, but as of right now I am really happy with the MG Audio I am using. Very system is different, everyone has different rooms, and sound profile preferences. I use all MA-4 for Morrow in my HT set up, I felt for the amount of cables needed for a 11.2 set up and the detail I got for the Morrow, the MA-4 was perfect.

darrenv1070 said

Paul has posted many times on the tech behind the PSA cables. Different runs of different wire sizes, shapes, etc. to carry the frequency range as efficient as possible.

Thank you, I must have missed those posts. Different size runs inside a cable to accommodate different frequency ranges – that’s a new one to me. There must be something to it, given how well regarded the PSA cables are by many.

I bought my first “high end” interconnects in the 1980s and they were made by Monster Cable (before they went more mainstream). Back then they espoused multi-gauge wire to carry different frequencies. Here is a quote from their current website.

“Two-way Time Correct® multi-gauge wire networks separately guide high and low frequencies for accurate phase.”

So the idea of using multiple wire gauges in an interconnect is not new.

I was taught that electricity takes the path of least resistance. To me, the idea that bass frequencies would gravitate to larger gauge wires, while higher frequencies would gravitate toward smaller gauge wires when they are both part of the same cable rubs me the wrong way. However, I cannot deny that the Monster Cable interconnects offered a noticeable improvement over the cheap RCA cables that were packaged with equipment in those days.

I do believe that the gauge, number of conductors, insulation material, geometry (twisted, woven, parallel, etc.), type of termination, shielding (or lack of it) etc. all play a factor in how interconnects and speaker cables will perform. As I understand it, the goal is to reduce resistance, capacitance and inductance; and different geometries tend to lower one parameter at the expense of raising another.

I took a look at the Morrow website and he does not indicate the gauge of each strand of wire, the equivalent gauge of the total number of strands, or the measured resistance, capacitance or inductance of his cables. That’s not to make a judgement one way or another about his design and how they perform.

I am interested in the fact that he offers small spades on his speaker cables to accommodate barrier strips, as used on Vandersteen speakers and bi-wire options. However, I would want to know the equivalent gauge of the different models to get an idea of which model I would be interested in. I will need to investigate more when my budget allows.

I bought a balanced Morrow Audio MA-6 pair used and I really like them. A smooth open sound stage. I think the Morrow Audio and MG Audio are on the same level of sound as long as you get at least the MA-6 from Morrow! Next step is a MA-7 set. The Morrow are a lot less $ if you get them on sale or with the offering codes from Morrow. Best deal is to chat with Mike.