Your best DSD256

Yes you’re probably right…Paul just wanted to mix the newly DSD256 recorded releases in Pyramix. Indeed it seems the DSD256 releases coming from the old DSD64 files are just remodulated (I’d so far call it upsampled). But I also remember there was more done in Pyramix for them than just upsampling. Maybe @Paul can clarify how those releases are processed. The question is, what’s done and is DXD involved or not.

I suggest you not use the term “upsampled” for remodulated DSD files. These are VERY different processes. The mastering engineers will get all over you about this. :wink:

Yes I’m fine with that, it would just be interesting where’s the difference. If no DXD is involved it would be interesting where the downsides you experienced could come from. At the end everything of this seems to be a kind of add. digital processing.

Well this file is actually a DSD512 that I bought in preparation of trying out the new Peachtree Catrina integrated amp that is now on its way to me. Roon is taking it down to DSD256 for now. Excellent album BTW.

4 Likes

I agree that this is a very nice album. It is one of Frans de Rond’s single microphone recordings, the second. The soundstage reproduction in these one microphone recordings from Sound Liaison are really special.

BTW, the original recording format for this album is DXD (PCM 358.2/24), not DSD. So take that for what it’s worth. It still sounds great in it’s DXD original feathers. I keep a lookout for your comments once you can hear the DSD512 conversion!

1 Like

Just downloaded this HDTT DSD256 Of Blakey “Moanin” and this one really challenges my 45rpm for supremacy in SQ, especially played through the new DS MKII! Completely annihilated my 24bit 192k version!

3 Likes

Yes! I totally agree with your assessment. Thanks for posting about this one.

I’ve consistently been finding it interesting how much better the very good DSD256 files sound as one’s DAC improves. Just like vinyl with better and better turntable or cartridge.

2 Likes

Another gorgeous recording in Pure DSD256 by Gonzalo Noqué on Eudora.
Review here. Download here.

4 Likes

I just downloaded 8 DSD256 albums from all your recommendations here from HDTT to take advantage of their sales. I had a short two-day honeymoon with the new DS MK2. My previous DSD256 sounded warm and dark in DS, but they sounded so much better in DS MK2. So, DACs do make a stark difference in processing these files.

2 Likes

Incidentally, I just looked at the last 10 issues on HDTT, there were about 7 reviews and 6 of them were 5-star reviews from you. I hope they’re paying you!

Ha! No, just a retired enthusiast who appreciates what Bob is doing for the audiophile community.

I can only get a limited number of reviews published at PF in a short period of time. So, I listen and if I like it, I’ll write up a summary to be part of a longer PF review but post that snippet immediately to the HDTT site. Hopefully, folks who don’t read PF can still see the opinion I share, and either agree with me or offer a different opinion.

5 Likes

I’ve been listening to various of the Hunnia Records Pure DSD256 recordings and finding many that I like both for the music and for the very good sound quality. Hunnia is located in Budapest and records both in their studio and a jazz club, with a few other on-site venues. Here’s a nice studio recording of world music from lead vocalist Bori Magyar and back musicians:

Download here.

2 Likes

If you’re looking for well recorded Pure DSD256 recordings (with no PCM processing), Hunnia Records offers quire a range of Pure DSD recordings, both live and studio. I’ve finally gotten my article published about a range of suggested albums from Hunnia that you might explore: jazz, classical, world, solo piano… HERE. Hunnia has developed quite a large catalog and are regularly adding more. I’ve included a number of albums I found very good, both musically and sonically, that you might try. Oh, and remember that since these are all downloadable from NativeDSD, you can preview complete tracks in 24-48kHz so see if they contain music that appeals to you.

3 Likes

I have the DSD256 of Tricks by Gabor Horvath Trio. It’s a fantastic recording. I played just a few hours ago.

Edit - I have a DSD128.

2 Likes

Everything I listen to is DSD256 (sometimes 512) courtesy of HQPlayer :wink:

1 Like

This big band DSD256 download from HDTT sounded so good!

2 Likes

A very nice Pure DSD256 recording from Hunnia Records. My review here.

In Pure DSD256 from Jared Sacks on Just Listen Records. Mixed live in analog then captured at DSD256 on a Merging Technologies Hapi ADC. No PCM. This album has supremely natural sound and very nice performances. More information and download here.

2 Likes

Such a beautifully pure, clear and expressive soprano voice. And the sound quality is exquisite. Eudora producer and recording engineer Gonzalo Noqué has knocked this one out of the park. His recordings, always exceptionally good, just continue to get better and better. This Pure DSD recording is as clear, pure, and delicately nuanced (both voice and piano) as one might hope to hear.

I don’t speak Spanish, but I’m still enjoying these songs immensely. More information and download HERE.

From the liner notes: Jesús Legido (Valladolid, 1943) has been recognized as one of the greatest representatives of art song in Spain since his debut in 1975. This album for voice and piano pays tribute to the composer from Valladolid on the occasion of the 80th anniversary of his birth, with the first recording of a series of selected cycles.

1 Like

I just purchased the Feen brothers plays Brubeck in DXD 352, which I converted to wav. Sounds excellent.

Have you listened in any other format?