Your Next Upgrade? (Part 1)

Go for it! What are you looking to purchase? Is this the dealer in Addison?

Kyomi Audio. I am picking up my Gryphon Pandora preamp and listening to MBL 101 speakers as well as Vivid GIYA Spirit speakers. I am very happy with my Wilsons and would most likely consider higher end Wilsons. I know the MBLs very well and I do not fear them. The Spirits on the other hand could be a problem for me. The fact that they look like ice cream cones doesn’t distract me. They are supposed to sound delicious and they are under $100k. God, I am such an idiot.

…and your dealer will greet you at the curb, offer to park your car for you and hand you a cup or glass of your favorite beverage. There may even be dancing girls…

I am sure they were looking forward to your next visit.

:wink:

3 Likes

My dear idiot friend
Mayhaps you should have someone go pick up your preamp for you.
Sincerely
Your idiot friend

2 Likes

Take your time and enjoy the experience.

1 Like

I wonder which color Maserati he will choose for his ride in.

4 Likes

Don’t sell yourself short, while you’re in the area pick up a Huracan, not the power cord in this instance:

3 Likes

Oh my the MBL’s. I might need restraint and a hold placed on all my accounts.

2 Likes

I know Lamborghini/Maserati owners who are not so happy ( no drivers license anymore and huge fines to pay ) but I don´t know anyone unhappy with same money invested in audio :grin:

4 Likes

Just make sure to order the Spirits in a matching color. Btw, I think they will look really good next to the Gryphon gear.

1 Like

Do they send a car around to fetch you? They should!

Way to keep your local economy going.

1 Like

I guess it is in Addison. Who knew?

1 Like

Not knowing anything about them, I looked up the MBL101X’s.
Wow, can you imagine getting these 3600 lb monsters in the house and then thinking, “meh”.

1 Like

That’s a lot safer than Chicago! I hope you don’t have to pay the Cook county tax!

1 Like

One fellow about an hour west of me has four of these and he’s selling a pair.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say Addison is safer than Chicago, unless you limit yourself to Chicago’s Austin and Englewood neighborhoods.

So… what did you come home with?

1 Like

Easier parking. Less chance of getting car jacked with $200k of stereo equipment.

1 Like

I spent a week with the CH and was so close to pulling the trigger before a friend suggested I try my system again. What follows is a set of observations and points. The PSA stack is in my profile.

1. The boss said to try more options out if I’m going to drop that much coin. Plus she wants an Hermes to maintain an equitable distribution of wealth.
  2. Where the CH excels in detail retrieval and soundstage, PSA excels in musicality.
  3. CH can pull precise background details where the PSA is fuzzy, imprecise with those details
  4. PSA has more body, soulfulness. CH is neutral, precise, analytical with less body and emotion.
  5. CH has a massive soundstage with sound placement and decay precisely rendered.
  6. CH has a winning low noise floor. Where I’ve previously measured the PSA at mid 40dB one inch from tweeter, the CH is mid 30dB. This allows me to hear the ring of triangles fading into pitch darkness, seemingly going forever where the PSA gets cut short from the higher noise floor. It’s quite something!
  7. When comparing the DACs only, the CH Spline upsampling into R2R excels in detail retrieval over the DS Sr. DS staging is slightly narrower and shorter than CH. CH does everything in PCM and Directstream in DSD.
  8. When comparing the CH to BHK300 amps, the BHK is warmer and heavier on bass output with more toe tapping PRaT. The CH was tauter and more neutral. Staging was slightly narrower in the BHK300.

Why didn’t I do it? I decided to look for a system that has the precision and detail retrieval of the CH with the warmth and body of the PSA.

2 Likes

I hope the sweetspot isn’t going to be the crack between the cushions @vee? Been there, done that. Not great. If the low sofa is to be centered, purchase one with three cushions.

1 Like