Your Next Upgrade? (Part 1)

Thanks for considering this - very nice of you!
Still: I guess you are living in the US, and as I live in Germany logistics and voltage are not in my favour.
Enjoy your P20 - dream machine!

I have the same feeling :wink:

I know you own one and are very satisfied - I followed your posts on it. Part of getting me to the point of having this need…

Still, in Germany it‘s not that convenient to get an in-home trial, trade-ins and special offers.

Well, dreaming is also a fun activity.

1 Like

@Philipp_Schaefer what is your experience with the Farad feeding the EtherRegen? I use Uptone LPS 1.2 and it’s a noticeable however minor step up. I’m tempted to replace it with a Farad but wonder if it’s worth it…

What tonearms have you been looking at for your SL-1200GAE? That’s a mighty fine piece of analog front end IMO. Begs the question what cartridge are you using? Me? I just ordered a Koetsu Rosewood for my SOTA/SME rig. I love my vinyl, so any time I get the upgrade itch a new cartridge tends to be top or toward the top of my list.

I just replaced it yesterday and played one record so far, Rob McConnell And The Boss Brass* - Big Band Jazz

Url: Rob McConnell And The Boss Brass – Big Band Jazz (Vinyl) - Discogs

My first impressions/observations

1. The record more easily slips on the platter when brushing
  2. It’s suggested not to use a record weight, there’s a detent in the inner circle that might flex the record if a weight is too heavy
  3. Kick drums kick slightly harder / more chest punch
  4. Instruments seem sharper / more focused
1 Like

I’ve been getting mixed suggestions based on what I believe to be inaccurate information in the market, which is making this search a little less of a priority for me.

Basically, the 1200GAE has a cold drawn magnesium tonearm that is the same construction and materials as the one used in the reference Technics SL-1000R. The difference is the SL-1000R tonearm is an inch longer, leading to less IGD. The SL-1000R tonearm also measures well.

As for tonearms, I’ve looked at:

1. Rega RB3000
  2. SME V
  3. Glanz MH-94S

I have it paired to a Soundsmith Hyperion MKII with Thomas Schick Graphite Headshell and an Ortofon Cadenza Black with LH-6000 Headshell.

Those Koetsus are gorgeous works of art. I was seriously considering them, but opted for the Soundsmith due to a fantastic deal, warranty and replacement policy.

1 Like

Hi @jamesh,

I have it from a reliable source that a P20 is even better than a P15. You really should consider an upgrade at some time. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Too bad SME is out of the tonearm market as of December of last year. Blast, as an avid SME tonearm fan and user! SME is only bundling tonearms with its TTs. If you wanted a V you’d have to snag one on the used market.

1 Like

I’ve done a couple in the last 30 days - going from an Emotiva BasX A-300 to a pair of M700s; and replacing my failing Rega transport with a new NuPrime CDT-8 Pro. Next will hopefully be replacing my P500 regenerator with a new P3. That’ll be it for some time.

2 Likes

Possibly replace my KEF LS50 Wireless with the KEF LS50 Wireless II but early impressions are indicating they offer some game changing connections and DAC capabilities but not necessarily a leap in sound.

1 Like

I like the idea of LS50 wireless

Ordered a Synergistic Orange for my Oppomod 203. Need to get a dedicated power supply for Matrix Spdif 2 and upgraded usb and HDMI cable for I2S. Going with the AQ Diamond for USB. I was going the order a second Diamond HDMI but I may try the new AQ Firebird HDMI instead.

I’m afraid none of my system is PSAudio, my budget doesn’t reach that far, but I really love this forum for the amount I learn and I can keep PSAudio equipment in my sights for future upgrades.

I’m currently on a compromised system for space requirements and have a fully analogue setup going into a digital speaker, the Naim Muso. It’s a great setup for what it is, the Muso shoots far higher than it’s size or budget.

But I’m now taking the final leap into an all analogue chain with the purchase of a Tube Amp and some good speakers.

I’m making my final payment on a PrimaLuna Evo 100 Integrated amplifier tomorrow, found a great stockist here in the UK selling an ex-demo unit for 40% off, they’d unboxed it at the start of lockdown and quite literally never used it. I think the tubes have 10 hours use on them. They’ve been incredibly kind in helping me secure it.

Then I’ll get Christmas out the way and will be buying some Buchardt Audio S300’s speakers which I’ll be using nearfield a lot of the time initially, but they’re extremely capable in that regard. They have a surprising range for their size and are quite capable down to around 35Hz, so sub isn’t really required.

And for speaker cable, I’m looking at some Audioquest Rocket 33.

And also I’ll have the speaker on some ISOAcoustics Aperta 155 desk stands.

And that will be the culmination of about 5 years heavy investment in my analogue system, purely playing vinyl.

I can’t wait, it’s quite literally a lifetime dream come true!

6 Likes

This is the best feeling!
It’s a great journey you are on - thanks for sharing.
I heard a lot of good things about the Buchhardts - congratulations!

1 Like

Sounds like a very satisfying journey. We have a Muso Qb2 in the house and it’s a fabulous device.

In recent years Harbeth have brought out the 40th Anniversary and now XD versions of the P3ESR. I have the P3ESR on my desk, I think Darren Myers has that version and even Paul admits they are great.

Harbeth were very difficult to come by second hand and often at 80% of full retail price, but it might be a little easier now with these new models knocking about and may be worth considering. Dave at Radlett Audio will know what’s available, if not items online.

They are slightly less sensitive than the Buchardt, but the Evo 100 should be OK, but it is an option I would certainly want to demo first.

1 Like

Ha, I know it man. I’m sure others can relate to my lame excuse, but my current rack isn’t accommodating of the P20’s size :pensive:
And because my listening room is the living room, my SO won’t let me plop it on the floor.

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback… I have heard great things about the P3ESR’s and the XD’s particularly look very impressive.

The drawback for the standard P3ESR model for me appears to be as it’s stated at only 75Hz at the bottom end which is a big no no for me as I wouldn’t have space for a sub for the next few years. The S300’s are capable to around 35Hz

The other drawback is the cost, they’re about +65% more expensive than the Buchardts although there is one place in the UK selling B-Stock for a more reasonable price, although still around £300 more than the S300’s.

SpyderTracks

A more “reasonably” priced alternative to the Harbeth lower end models are the Reynaud bookshelf speakers specifically the Bliss Jubilee. They are priced 500 Euros under the P3 with extension into the low 40’s plus you might find a dealer somewhere in the EU that is more pricing flexible than Harbeth dealers. I own Bliss Jubilee’s and C7’s so familiar with the sound of the two competing models.

1 Like

I have no idea how the Buchardt gets down to 35Hz and if it is actually audible. The P3ESR go lower than 75Hz, but these figures are a bit irrelevant when listening nearfield. Some people stick a sub under their desk or somewhere, like a BK Electronics unit for £400 (I have a BK400 in my main system), but I’ve never found the P3ESR lacking for nearfield. P3 should be £1,300, 40th £1,800 and XD are £2,500 new.

According to stereophile, the P3ESR are -5dB at 50Hz.

The Buchardt 300 certainly have a slightly unusual kink around 30-40Hz

2 Likes

I had a pair of S300’s for the thirty day trial and they get down pretty low though I never bothered to get the Stereophile test disk and SPM out to actually measure them. My issue with the S300 was not the actual sound quality which was quite good but with the fact that with their low efficiency they really needed higher volume levels and power to come alive. Srajen found the same issue in his review which Mad’s never references as it was not glowing. Srajen actually preferred the similar design Amphion Argon which he had in for review just prior to the Buchardts.

1 Like