196/24 DSD file errors out while being extracted

It’s the recording that goes with Paul McGowan’s Loudspeaker book.

Screen Shot 2022-10-09 at 3.15.38 PM copy

From the error message my first thought is that the account being used to do the unzip doesn’t have permission to write to the downloads directory. As a test try to create a file in the downloads directory manually.

That might work on a Windows machine, but MacOS doesn’t use a downloads directory. Besides that, two other files downloaded from PS Audio expanded with no issues. Downloading the file again made no difference. Plus, I have admin status on my machines. :slight_smile:

Perhaps adding @Paul to this discussion will be helpful…

Look at the error message from the screenshot…
It states the unzipping to the “downloads” dir is not permitted by the Archive Utility. It’s possible you’re trying to process a WIN based installer zip file on a MAC system.

OK, but the two other ZIP files unzipped with no issues. Plus, ZIP is a universal format, so not likely.

However WinZip had no trouble extracting the files.

No dog in this hunt, but curious what you mean by MacOS not using a downloads directory… because by default all downloads go to that directory… no?

Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 4.25.56 PM

1 Like

One can pick any location to download a file. The default is Downloads and that’s what I use, but if you want certain files to go to a different location, that can be done.

yah, yah, i know, but just was curious about the comment “MacOS doesn’t use a downloads directory.”

maybe I mis-read it.

no worries

In the sense that Windows does. although maybe that’s changeable. Haven’t used a Win machine in a couple of years.

Time to dust off my UNIX brain cells…open an xterm/term window and try touching a file in downloads or tmp or any dir for that matter. MACs are UNIX when the rubber meets the road if I remember correctly.

I just emailed you a new link to some different files. Let me know if you have any luck with these.

Or temp…40 plus years in high tech and all the OSs blur together.
uptime…40 years plus!

They are indeed running a Unix based OS. Years ago, created an Apple Linux boot drive, once up in Linux, there wasn’t a whole lot to do. Just letting my nerd flag fly.

Without us nerds the world would be in a world of hurt! Nerds unite!

That is very true.