2.2.0 firmware for new production PWDs

@streets still works You have been great. My new card reader arrives today from Amazon.com. Do I "archive" the old files on the same card or transfer and store on my PC? Found & ordered 2 SD 2GB cards from Amazon.com just now. I will just keep them for some future project: http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Flash-Memory-Card-SDSDB-002G-AFFP/dp/B007JRB0QA/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1371051991&sr=1-1&keywords=sd+card+2gb


Doesn't matter where you put the old files as long as they're not in the root directory of the SD card. Your PC is fine (just remember where you put them. One advantage for leaving them in the 'archive' folder in the SD card is you know where the files are.)

Best of luck, it should work fine if you do everything as described.

--SSW

It is a good idea to copy the old files to your computer so that you have a known working set. Label them as having been used on the PWD just so you don’t forget which set they are.



J.P.

@streets still works THANK YOU!!!

@wingsounds13 I think that is what I will do. I assume I will recognize the “old” files as they look similar to the new ones I am replacing then with.



Bet I will still will not get the art work on the PWD2 screen. It disappeared some time in late 2012…never to be seen again. The JRemote App is what I use anyway.



Thank you.

streets still works said:
Doesn't matter where you put the old files as long as they're not in the root directory of the SD card. ... One advantage for leaving them in the 'archive' folder in the SD card is you know where the files are.)

I keep all of the firmware files on the SD card. I have separate folders for the various versions. Only the active firmware files are in the root directory.

This method works great for me, but it could be a source of confusion if not managed carefully.

Truth is that I do the same as Elk, but if you have ANY trouble doing firmware updates then the safest bet is to having nothing but the update files on the card.



J.P.

The last version od 2.2.0 (1.09) working together with bridge 0.2.14b is excellent! Well done, masters.

Thanks everyone, Franta.

@wingsounds13 I did it!!! Well, you did it!



I thought you might find this interesting: When I put the PWD/Bridge SD Card into my new reader there was only 1 file on it - cover art for Blondfire. There were no other files on the card at all?! No firmware whatsoever. So, I deleted that art file. I have never touched that SD Card since I first inserted it when the PWD2 arrived from PSA. I wonder where it got its firmware from?



I copied the files that I posted in the screen shot (earlier post) into the root directory of the blank SD Card, slid the card into the slot (connectors face up/label down), turned the PWD2 on using the rocker switch in the back, the blue PWD2 light started to blink faster & faster (which by the way, freaked me out), the PWD2 shut down, initialized, and all sounds great!



I am running 2.14a Bridge firmware now, but will try 2.14b in a few minutes.



Art work/Song info is odd though. It PWD2 screen starts out with the correct information & art work, but by the 2nd song defaults into a generic picture of a record label & no song/audio information.



Thank you again. Christopher


Art & Audio information issue resolved. When I installed the 2.20 PL109 + 2.14b firmware not only did the SQ improve greatly but the Art & Song information now works on the PWD2 screen!



Ready for WaveStream now.



YEA!

Ooh. A Happy Customer.



We like those.



:slight_smile:



–SSW

@streets still works Yes! Thank you for all you did to help me. This all seems as fairly elementary stuff to you, but to many of us guidance such as yours is invaluable. If only the JRMC Forum worked this well.



Christopher

SD cards are cheaply made - I would suggest keeping a back up copy of firmware versions on a computer even if you do the elk / wingsounds13 method of having a folder structure on the card.

Absolutely correct David.



Birddog, you are most welcome. I am glad to hear that the firmware update is in olace and things are improved. Apparently your PWD was running the firmware installed at the factory. The SD card is used for cover art storage and I am sure that this is all that is on most PWDs that are out in the field. The PWD stores all cover art in a single file and that file is not very large as it supports only the resolution needed by the PWD display. I have used a 256 Meg SD card for cover art and firmware updates in the past, but I generally use one of the 2 Gig cards that I have floating around here.



J.P.

Finally, I got my bridge back. :x What did I do? First of all I tried a fall back to FW 2.0.2 and the rescue.ub-thing with a newly formatted usb-stick. Doesn´t work. Tried three different usb-sticks, tried several FWs I had stored on my PC. Nothing, narda, nichts :((

Went to London for a business trip, had some pints in some pubs, went back home and tried again. No change to the before mentioned results.

Than I decided to restart the PWD (after 30min with the rescue-stick in) without the SD-card. That did it (Actually the PWD was back on 2.0.2). Than I updated again to 2.2.0 (1.09 version) and it worked!

So, I´m back in the flock, waiting for the new wavestream. Exciting!

David said: I would suggest keeping a back up copy of firmware versions on a computer even if you do the elk / wingsounds13 method of having a folder structure on the card.

Yup.

birddogthecat said: There were no other files on the card at all?! No firmware whatsoever. . . . I have never touched that SD Card since I first inserted it when the PWD2 arrived from PSA. I wonder where it got its firmware from?

From the Firmware Ether.

The firmware was already installed on the unit. The SD card is supplied so that you can upgrade firmware, etc.

I suspect that the greatest reason is getting album art on the display, which requires having the SD card in place.



J.P.

i set my alarm to get up at 4.45 this morning (i have young kids and a job) so i could do the firmware update. Why, cause i knew that it would be an issue looking for the files, remembering what to do, where to go… it just shouldn’t be like this. Once i had all the files, dislocated my arm so i could reach the back of the unit it all went smoothly.



I absolutely think the DAC is awesome, but had i realised the maintenance and resets involved for such an expensive piece of kit, maybe i would have thought twice. The way the firmware is handled in the forum really needs sorting out.



Sorry to rant but you need to listen to those before me and close the gap between the products ability (again its fantastic) and the user experience.



Tim

Which version should we be using if we have an original PWD that we converted ourselves to version MKII via the updated Bridge board? Does it matter? Which one sounds better. We truly do need to be provided the pertinent information…

I have an MKII updated original PWD with 0.2.14b + 2.2.0 (109) downloaded here. I tried many firmwares and 2.0.2 was my favorite. In my system, i can confirm this new combination is the best from a long way.

I do not use a preamp and most of the time, I use the PWD with active speakers around 40-50, which is not recommended. Is it just my perception or the improvement is particularly important in low volume ?

Hi, Ralberge



Very interesting. A number of users, especially in other fora, have also reported the version of 2.2.0 with PWDPL109.hex sounds the best.



I can speculate that it does matter most with low volume levels as one is beginning to lose bit resolution at this point - but this is true speculation.