Well, I’ve been a staunch advocate of 2.0.2 until recently. Ahem. Since I added the Power Base (both mechanically and electrically) I have preferred 2.1.0 (I haven’t tried newer versions yet). Before, 2.1.0 sounded harsh, sibilant, grating on my system. With the PB in, 2.0.2 sounds rather lifeless, artificially smooth. 2.1.0 brings back the “life” to the music. The PB had a profound effect on my sound and I think that perhaps 2.0.2 was just masking the hash that was present in my setup prior to the PB. My point is, you can only tell by listening to the various versions of firmware in your own system. Don’t be afraid to experiment as you change other components in the chain. I am looking forward to trying 2.2.0 and even more excited about WS.
I did try the 2.2.0/109 version that seemed to float into the forum from cyber space and although it seemed to increase low volume dynamics, it also had [for me] the familiar “forwardness” of 2.2.0.
While investigating the origin and reason for this set I was given another set [ for now we call it 2.4.0] and upon installation of this file/set I have NOT reverted to my olde friend 2.0.
This set will be posted to Beta this weekend to see if others have a similar experience as well as to test it for use on multiple systems and variables.
Fun.
Let us know what you conclude.
Sounds great. In any case, it would be good to have change history, or something to tell why it is different from previous versions.
Enjoy your listening and thanks for beta testing it (Gordon et al)
At the expense of my own mental health I spent the whole weekend comparing PWD firmware and bridge firmware.
I have tried to control all possible variables… Filter set to auto always, nativeX always, no change to system set up (see my thread in “ya I got a system”). The cats positioning in the room was constantly variable, as is his way.
PWD is mk2 with the original display, not the new one. I estimate 2500 hours on it.
I use an ABA technique with a null hypothesis. That is, assume no there is no difference between A and B, listen to A, then compare to B and then go back to compare to A again.
For this, I used PWD firmware 2.20 (pld109) and bridge firmware 2.14b as the default (A), with the hypothesis that any change in firmware of PWD should produce no change. For any change to be significant it should be apparent on changing A to B, AND when changing back B to A.
I use a variety of ripped CDs in ALAC (16/44) and hi-res files from HDTracks in FLAC (up to 24/192) all streamed to the bridge on EMM 32.03 from my Mac mini (remote).
There was no significantly audible difference between PWD firmwares 2.20 pld 107 and 109 in my system.
There was no significantly audible difference between PWD firmwares 2.20 (pld 109) and 2.10 (pld 105) in my system.
There is a clear difference in PWD firmware 2.20 and 2.02 in my system. This has been previously documented, it was reproduced in my tests.
There is a difference between bridge firmwares 2.14b and 2.13c that is small but audible in my system. The difference relates to improved fullness and impact in the bass region with 2.14b.
I know some on this forum don’t like speculation about this stuff, so I have purposely set out to do this as scientifically as possible. Hope it helps.
Thank you for engaging in and reporting the results of this exercise. Others may hear things a bit differently, (as always occurs amongst audiophiles) but yours is a good report.
J.P.
stereophilus said: The cats positioning in the room was constantly variable
Ah . . . the famous infinitely variable hirsute feline room treatment, a/k/a furry purry.
Impressive effort on your part. Thanks for posting your conclusions.
I’m still confused with the PWD/Bridge latest firmware version and where to find, its frustrating that seems PSA just doesn’t care to streamline this most important information for the existing consumers?
@jazzbug
Hi
You can find latest “official” downloads here.
Let us know if you need any help.
http://www.psaudio.com/vanilla/discussion/5338/updated-latest-firmware-for-pwd-bridge-and-pwt-can-be-found-here#Item_1
Thanks Gordon, its good to have a topic in the forum. But is there supposed to be any official website directory from PSA rather than public forum…I’m sure other companies have it for their products…
@jazzbug
Indeed it would be helpful.
I do not have access to the main site so someone at PSA needs to coordinate with me or others to set it up clearly and maintain it’s currency. My birthday is already passed so maybe Christmas?
Gordon,
Have you clicked on your links? They don’t seem to go anywhere useful. Especially for a first timer.
Steven B-)
@sgrowan
The first page should show a list of “latest official” versions, a link to the downloads and also a link to the PSA support and “how to” area.
I would like to edit the how to and make it more intuitive but time as well as access are limited.
It would be so simple and cool if Marcus and Mayoura could do a simple “walk through” video for at least the Bridge and PWD firmware updates.
That would take some of the heat off and they could be improved with time.
I’m not sure who the sales manager is but I would sure like to light a fire under his butt for not doing this a long time ago. [ did I say fire? I meant boot!]
My question is to the previous weekend’s testing team that evaluated the PWD firmware version with the “109.hex” [referred to by Gordon as 2.4.0] Was any sort of consensus reached? Thanks!
2.4.0? This software is a long way down the road.
Just to clarify and try to avoid future confusion:
2.2.0 (109) and 2.4.0 are different firmware versions, not just different ways of naming the same firmware.
J.P.
I’m still confused!! Sorry! So it seems that the 2.2.0 version with the PWDPL109.hex (June 2013 version) has now become the “official” latest PWD firmware [contains these files: LOADER.cfg, PWD20200.hex, PWDPL109.hex, PWDUI200.hex & PWDUL103.hex] I guess my original question above was about the PWD firmware version that I thought was being tested this past weekend by the beta testing group that contains these files: LOADER.cfg, PWD20400.hex, PWDPL109.hex, PWDUI200.hex & PWDUL103.hex. If someone could set me straight, I’d appreciate it! Thanks.
rvw1951
There is a mystery 2.2.0 version with 109 hex but 2.4.0 is a different main build although it also does contain 109hex.
It is in beta now to make sure it doesn’t have any gremlins.
just my 2cents after I update my old MKII. My original setting was DAC2.0.3 Bridge0.2.2, which is my most favor like other forums. Recently I add a gigabit switch to hardwire laptop/PWD then tweak laptop for audio from scratch, the result is amazing: hardly micro skip/dropout for hi res(24 192) with jRiver, although eLyrics is not as smooth as.
After I update to this new version of DAC2.2.0, as I couldn’t update Bridge0.2.14b through web or file (http://www.psaudio.com/vanilla/discussion/4526/new-bridge-firmware-0.2.14b#Item_1), so I have to stay with Bridge0.2.14a via the PWD front panel updates (lucky?)
I found the new combination is bit crispier in my system, lighthearted, most important it feels much less ambient details of the music. I don’t thinks its acceptable for my listening interest, I like it emotionally engaged. Its not harsh at all, actually feels bit slower when play Carol Kid. And more micro skip/totally drop out with 24 192 on jRiver, longer gaps, unfortunately eLyrics seems doesn’t work at all.
Need to ask forum gurus how to update Bridge to 0.2.14b? Hope it is different from 0.2.14a? 
@jazzbug
Download Bridge firmware 2.14b
copy the file to your desktop and rename it to only upgrade.ub.
type the IP address of your Bridge in the address bar of your web browser. The Bridge web page will appear.
Select "file upgrade from the meny and browse to the file on your desk top.
Say Yes
Let the file upgrade the Bridge and DO NOT INTERRUPT the install process or it will cause you problems.
It can take sometimes 1/2 hour.
After the PWD screen comes back to the normal Bridge setting you can go back to the Bridge web page and check the version should now be 2.14b.