AC-12 power cord

PS Audio has no duty to assist those who were defrauded by others, but is doing so solely out of good will. PS Audio made the offer. I am unaware of anyone asking PS Audio to cover the loss.

And why “victims” in quotes? Are you claiming they were treated fairly and deserve to have been defrauded?

I agree with Elk. Based off the forum responses I did not see any “victims” demanding or even requesting that PS Audio remedy the situation.

For the record, I purchased mine from the used side of The Cable Company, an authorized PS Audio dealer. I paid $649 for a 2M, which I felt was a fair price. I am in the process of sending it back to them for authentication. I have not asked PS Audio to do anything. However, they contacted me and offered to help me if my dealings with the retailer do not work out.

dts, I apologize if my facts don’t fit your post.

From posting by austinpop: I did receive a very satisfactory resolution from you privately. Rest assured you have salvaged my day and made me a very happy camper after all!

From posting by watchdog57: I’m in the process of building my new system and have four AC 12 Cables. After reading this post, it turns out that only one is real. The weight of the real one and the cable diameter gave it away. The fakes use a smaller diameter and it’s more rigid. Interestingly the barrels are all long on the fakes. I bought two from what appeared to be a legit seller in Pennsylvania. One came from a reseller/dealer in Montreal. I have the emails and the respective chains if your people need them? Can someone contact me about returning and replacing them?

I don’t know how you interpret the above two cases.

No one deserved to be defrauded if they paid the fair price, however, if they paid close to 1/4 of the full price for a current product in the used market, isn’t that too good to be true?

Brumtech, you are doing the right thing by contacting The Cable Company directly.

dts said No one deserved to be defrauded if they paid the fair price, however, if they paid close to 1/4 of the full price for a current product in the used market, isn't that too good to be true?
So they "deserved to be defrauded" if they paid 1/4 price on the used market?

Seriously?

Just to add - I am not going to reveal the exact price but it wasn’t at 1/4th and more fair value (at least I consider it) for the used market at which these cables are generally sold. And I bought 3 of them - my rest of the PSA gears - DS, BHK Pre (and possibly a BHK amps in near future) are all brand new from dealer.

The seller (very surprisingly) has got back to my queries and is somewhat embarrassed - he never thought it was fake and had bought from PS Audio dealer in Atlanta GA couple of yrs back. He moved from there since and have no contact.

And yes, I already considered my money lost on all three cables and I don’t blame or demand anything from PS Audio for my own act. Anything you buy from used market is your own responsibility but to simply claim “Shouldn’t they paid the price and learn how to support the dealers?” is pain foolish.

Thanks everyone. The seller on Auydiogon knew the cables were fakes and sold them anyway. He did not buy them from a dealer in good faith because the cables sold for less money than we paid for the real ones in the first place.

In any case, whatever the story, we’re here to help. We don’t want PS customers to suffer with inferior products which is why we brought legal action against the counterfeiter. And we will do the same in the future should this crop up again. In the meantime, we are in the process of contacting the seller’s customers and offering to replace the counterfeits with real equipment so that our customers are not harmed.

People shouldn’t feel badly about finding a deal and taking advantage of it. I would feel bad if someone knowingly purchased stolen goods but that’s not the case. These customers found a deal, bought our cables (or so they thought) and we are honored they chose our products.

It is always safer to buy directly from us or our dealers, but when there’s a bargain at hand…

We intend to do what we can to make it right for our customers because at the end of the day, our customers are what matter most.

2 Likes

The seller that I bought from still seems to be active in Audiogon. I am a bit curious if there is only one or multiple counterfeiting sellers on Audiogon that PSA has bought legal actions ?

I just heard from Jeremy this evening. PS Audio received my cable, and confirmed that it was indeed counterfeit.

Based on the evidence (fake packaging, incorrect weight, suspect seller) it was to be expected, but there was a part of me that was still hoping that my cable would turn out to be genuine.

Sigh.

Hi,

I bought my AC12 power cable second hand in England from a company I use called Emporium Hifi. They deal in high-end used hifi. I’ve checked the cable and the box. To my dismay the cable does seem counterfeit. I paid £500 for the privilege. Not happy. Will be contacting them tomorrow. Has anyone else in the UK bought a AC12 power cord second hand and had worries regarding it authenticity?

Kind regards

Steve

spurs3567 said

Hi,

I bought my AC12 power cable second hand in England from a company I use called Emporium Hifi. They deal in high-end used hifi. I’ve checked the cable and the box. To my dismay the cable does seem counterfeit. I paid £500 for the privilege. Not happy. Will be contacting them tomorrow. Has anyone else in the UK bought a AC12 power cord second hand and had worries regarding it authenticity?

Kind regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this.

We are taking a hard stance against the sale of counterfeit cables.

If you are concerned that your cable is a fake you are welcome to send it to us.

If indeed your cable is found to be fake we’ll get you an authentic factory direct replacement at no charge.

Be advised that as an international customer you will need to cover round trip shipping.

Please reach out to us at service@psaudio.com for more info and to get an RMA for the cable coming back.

Thanks in advance,

• Jeremy

Hey Jeremy,

Have you guys found if the fakes are only on the 2m cables? I have 2 and 1.5 meters all from dealers, but a 1m I bought off audiogon not from the usual d-bags selling fake stuff.

thanks,

veneet

Veneet said

Hey Jeremy,

Have you guys found if the fakes are only on the 2m cables? I have 2 and 1.5 meters all from dealers, but a 1m I bought off audiogon not from the usual d-bags selling fake stuff.

thanks,

veneet

Hi Veneet,

So typically we’re seeing only the 2 meter cables.

Nonetheless, if you are concerned please send us your cable and we’ll take a look.

Thanks,

• Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy,

I think I am ok, I went through all the fake stuff with Duncan in weighing and outerweave when I got a fake 2m from Audiogon. I think this looks good from both those angles. I’ll take another look when I get home. I thought to put it to rest if the problems were only 2 meter ones.

You guys are really great.

Thanks!

Veneet-

Would it be possible to share some of what you’ve learned in identifying fake cables with the rest of us, please. Some photos of the plugs and the outer covering would be helpful, too. Thanks!

Hey PB,

If PS Audio is ok with it, I would happily share what I know, but it will have to wait until I get home on Friday, I don’t have my personal pc with me.

Jeremy/Duncan let me know if that is ok?

Thanks,

Veneet

Veneet said

Hey PB,

If PS Audio is ok with it, I would happily share what I know, but it will have to wait until I get home on Friday, I don’t have my personal pc with me.

Jeremy/Duncan let me know if that is ok?

Thanks,

Veneet

Hi Veneet, Peanut Butter, et al,

We’re having a meeting of the minds here on this subject.

If you can, please allow some time while discuss this and come up with the best course of action moving forward.

Thanks in advance for your patience,

• Jeremy
Jeremy B said

…If you can, please allow some time while discuss this and come up with the best course of action moving forward.

Thanks in advance for your patience,

• Jeremy

A definitive “how to tell the difference” resource would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jeremy, no problem. Just let me know what works for you guys. I see issue from your side too, which is why I wanted to make sure.

Just came across this thread and realized I better check my AC-12 PC too. It is a 1.5M (about 60") PC that weights about 2.75 lbs. I did not see any reference to weight for a 1.5M PC only the 3.5 legit weight for a 2M AC-12 PC. But proportioning the 3.5 lbs from a 2M to a 1.5M PC yields 2.63 lbs. So can I presume that my cord is authentic? Thanks.

My experience with fakes goes back further. . . I bought two xStream Premier SC 2 meter off ebay (before the PerfectWaves were released) that were fakes. . . I figured they might be they were so cheap. . . they were obviously lighter and didn’t sound as good as the other legit cable I had. I didn’t make a fuss. . . they were so cheap. . . lesson was learned.