What do you think about this AC-10?

Hello,

A seller is offering me this AC-10 cable. Do you think is original or not? He hasn’t got original box so no way to obtain serial number.

Thanks in advance for your help!

There are some pretty good counterfeits out there. Buying from a reptuable seller or authorized dealer is usually the best play.

Try weighing it and contacting PS Audio customer service by e-mail or phone to discuss your concerns. Between the cables weight and you discussing its other attributes with PS Audio, odds are good that they can assure you as to its authenticity; or not.

Good luck.

Thanks!

You bet. Let us know how it turns out.

The weight is 1303 grams. I´ve contact PS support and they told me is difficult to know so i don’t know what to do.

No help from PS Audio…? I am surprised.

Maybe you can glean something useful from this previous thread on the subjectL AC-12 Counterfeit Discussion And More

No, PS Audio support tells me it’s difficult to know if is counterfeit or not without the cable there. They were very kind and quick in his answer. Finally I’m going to buy a new AC-5 in a authorized dealer for almost the price the seller wants for his ac-10

A good decision.

There a saying, if it seems to good to be true, it probably is. Move on.

The thing is I’m listening to Mulgrew Miller in my DS Jr (what an incredible box of music!) with stock power cable and I really wonder myself how can be better than now… probably it will be, but even with stock cable sounds amazing!

1 Like

At the risk of being a grinch …

While there are cases where shielded power cables can save you from radio frequency interference (eg. from a strong local transmitter), there really isn’t much other reason to use them. If the stock cable sounds OK, save your money… because it probably is OK.

Power cables are a great topic as they reside where interconnects and speaker cables were 15 - 20 years ago. At that time many questioned whether a mere wire could make any difference and we were still arguing over jitter. No its power cables’ turn to be controversial. :slight_smile:

My new friend … the story is the same … it’s just wire.

In this case it’s wire plugged into an outlet that probably has an impedence in fractions of an ohm… the risk of outside signals invading it are someplace between nan and never.

If your system sounds amazing with the stock power cord, I would suggest that you stop there and just enjoy the sound, especially because this upgrade/tweak disease comes on strong and hits hard.
That said, if you find some money that you have no other use for, buy one excellent power cord (in my opinion, at least an AC5) and try it at different points of your system, starting with the power amp. If you hear an improvement, buy another.
I don’t use any stock power cords, but I have experimented with going back to them just to hear the difference.
I hear a substantial difference. You might not at all. A fun experiment, though.

1 Like

I understand your bias; I shared it for a good while. But it is just that, bias.

I sense a strong disturbance in The Force…

2 Likes

If changing the power cord makes an audible difference in your system it will almost certainly be because the previous cord was too light, the system was power starved and the new one has better wire in it or makes a better connection.

It is very unlikely that adding shielded power cords where there is no preexisting issue with interference is going to change the sound of an audio system, except for the case above.

I understand your thinking. It is a simple explanation and is compelling. But there often is more going on, just like in our discussion of digital cables. See, here.

Remember, expectation bias goes both ways. It is just as easy to not hear something that is there, as it is to hear something which is not.

1 Like

I’m going to bow out of this conversation too. It is obvious now that I probably should not have signed on to this forum in the first place.

I have no desire to get into a running battle about power cords and usb cables when there are so many far more beneficial and reasonable topics to discuss.

I gave our friend some simple, practical advice … “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.”
I never thought I would see the day I regretted that.