Active monitors not that sensitive to mains quality?

From my experience, many, well, most active monitors that I’ve heard or heard of someone else’s experience with (active) monitors, even an employee (some designer or acoustician…) from Genelec stated FIRMLY that their monitors haven’t changed sound signature when using either a basic power cable or a gem-like 10k$ piece of precious conductors in an exotic twist.

I guess most studio monitors are just too cheapo to have such benefit from power quality…?

Personally I’m just kinda mixed as to whether my monitors really appreciate their AQ power cabling. Maybe it’s just my overall poor mains quality that makes a bottleneck to how “well” a well designed power cable does its job…

[Edit: wasn’t meant to be a thread about vacuum]

Okay…???

We could just put our entire systems into a huge vacuum chamber (ourselves included). No sound to bother the spouse. No distortion. No nothing. No complaints! Yes?

1 Like

Okay I went a bit drunk and overboard and off my topic, and really I might be overly wrong.
Galen Gareis did state that air is better to use than vacuum. I wonder what’s the problem with vacuum, if it’s properly shielded so it doesn’t inhale the atmosphere. Well, this isn’t achieved with any porous polymer dielectrics, I’d wager a metal encasing is tight. Or from hard polymers perhaps Kaptan or PEEK?

To the topic of the thread:

Have you noticed this trend with active monitors? Notable exceptions?
I do believe the guy at Genelec who’d confirmed with his own ears their top models didn’t seem to care about power cords. I guess it’s about the power and design of the modern D-class insides…

My ATC SCM20ASL Pro MkII active monitors responded very positively to both upstream (balanced) power conditioning and (Furutech DPS4.1) power cord upgrades. However the onboard amp-packs are of high quality old-school class AB design with all analog XO circuitry. No A->D->DSP->D->A and/or switching amps to be found here.