Yo TED--why is my DSD so responsive to power cables?

I’ve mentioned elsewhere on this forum that my DSD responds substantially to power cable upgrades.
It’s always fed by my P20.
Can you help me understand why it would?

It is pretty astonishing how responsive the DSD is to power cable design. It was one of the most definitive comparisons I have done with respect to all of the components in my system.

Curious too what @tedsmith thinks.

2 Likes

I’ve always found power cords to be the most sensitive cable to tweak on almost every component. It’s the first cable tweak I try on a new acquisition. Still I think there will be much less sensitivity to all cords on the TSS and any potential follow on DACs.

4 Likes

Same here! Anything power related from the outlet to the component has made the most impact in my system.

It’s a wonder why instead of needing AC to power any component we don’t use DC battery eliminating the AC gremlins.

good to know RonP. I have my PS Audio AC12 power cable connected to my power amplifier and an AC5 connected to my Direct Stream DAC. I’m gonna switch it up! both components connected to a P10 on dedicated line. (wish I had a P20…man!).
cheers!

To answer the question: I speculate that many assume that the only problem for power cords is the noise coming from the wall. I think a non-trivial and sometimes overlooked issue is the that noise coming from the unit can be both conducted and radiated by the power cord to other components. This can also be a problem even with battery supplies…

3 Likes

Thanks Ted!

Oh jeez - we’re so screwed.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::man_shrugging:t2::cowboy_hat_face:

Because the TSS will be that good it cares little about the cord? Or even batteries are susceptible?

Is it the power supply? (This was suggested by the designer of my amps)

I wish I was a zip cord guy.

1 Like

You know that shiz don’t matter, man.

Vmax, were you asking me about my post, or asking Ted?

I can’t answer in any case🤷🏻‍♂️

Sorry for the ambiguity. They were two separate thoughts:

1. Batteries are often external and then have a cord which can be a radiator. If they are internal and the charger is internal it’s cord also can be a radiator.

2. The TSS takes great pains (tho nothing is perfect) to filter the AC both directions, from the outside in and from the inside out. It also tries to draw current away from the tops of the AC waveforms where most components draw current (and therefor where it is noisiest) and hence if the TSS power supplies do generate noise it’s injected in the AC away from when most other components are drawing power.

4 Likes

Very clever.

You’re aware of things, many are not yet. I have only superficial information, but is it possible that filtering existing noise caused by radiation etc. is only the first step… just like damping/filtering jitter is only the first step before having the knowledge how to avoid jitter in the first place? There are already devices available to cancel/discharge noise from cabling (antennas) before it radiates/hits the components and self-induced from components‘ inner circuits before it radiates from there.

Indeed, it is just the first step, but many don’t take that first step. Another is not generating noise in the first place. Another is mitigating it…

With AC one issue is the compromises forced by the (neccessary) safety issues (safety ground or floating everything…)

I have a clue how three-dimensional and palpable your new DAC then will sound compared to others in setups, where there’s no other special care for HF radiation. :+1:

Ted
May I ask on behalf of all us pensioners out there, please don’t make the TSS too good. Ok?

5 Likes

Are you using a phase-shifting capacitor like one would use with an AC motor to pull-off this seemingly magical feat of charging away from the tops of the waveforms?

Or are you doing something more carver-esque and using something like a Triac drive the power transformer? Or are you doing something else entirely?